China’s ‘microblog queen’ has 5 mn fansJanuary 29th, 2011 - 10:05 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, Jan 29 (IANS) Chinese television star Yao Chen has been named the “microblog queen” for having more than five million followers on the country’s popular Twitter-like online social microblogging website.Yao had five million fans on her microblog t.sina.com.cn/yaochen Friday afternoon, and the number grew by another 3,744 in the following one and a half hours, Xinhua reported.
The 32-year-old actress rocketed to fame in 2006 for her role in the popular sitcom “My Own Swordsman”. She also starred in a successful television series “Lurk screened” in 2008.
The company, sina.com.cn, which runs the microblog service, crowned Yao “microblog queen”. The website said she attracts netizens because she expresses her true feelings on her blog, posting entries like text messages sent between old friends.
Yao has more online fans than American TV host Oprah Winfrey.
Sina’s microblog service had 50 million users in October 2010. As many as 157,542 entries were posted in the first minute of 2011, or 2,625 entries per second, the website said.
The number of internet users in China has reached 457 million last year, up 73.3 million from a year earlier, meaning over one-third of the Chinese population is online, according to the China Internet Network Information Center (CNNIC).
Last year the number of social microblog users was 53.11 million, or 13.8 percent of the total netizens in the country, the CNNIC said.
- Chinese actress has more microblog fans than Oprah Winfrey - Jan 29, 2011
- 420 mn Chinese now use the internet - Aug 04, 2010
- China shuts over 200 microblogs for pornography - Dec 09, 2011
- Tell your real name: Beijing asks microbloggers (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Most Chinese feel Internet a major source of rumours - Sep 09, 2011
- Give your real name: Beijing to microbloggers - Dec 16, 2011
- Video shows Chinese man skinning dog on roadside - Feb 16, 2011
- Microblogs get Chinese interested in politics - Apr 12, 2011
- Six held for sexual assault at China water festival - Aug 24, 2012
- Chinese officials take to blogging on local websites - Apr 27, 2011
- China to put out quake data on social networks - May 24, 2012
- China probes forced abortion case after national outrage - Jun 14, 2012
- Shanghai launches official microblog - Nov 28, 2011
- Chinese woman seeks husband who won't have sex - Mar 21, 2012
- China's internet users rise to 513 million (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
Tags: american tv, china internet network, chinese population, chinese television, cnnic, friday afternoon, half hours, internet network information center, network information center, number of internet users, oprah winfrey, sina, swordsman, television series, television star, true feelings, tv host, twitter, xinhua, yao