China’s earliest wine unearthed in tombJuly 6th, 2012 - 11:12 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 6 (IANS) Liquid found inside an ancient wine vessel unearthed in China’s Shaanxi province is believed to be the earliest wine in the country’s history, dating back to the time of the West Zhou Dynasty (1046 B.C.-771 B.C.), archaeologists said.
The wine vessel made of bronze was found in a tomb of a noble man of the dynasty in Shigushan Mountain in Baoji city, Xinhua reported.
The liquid is likely the oldest wine discovered in China, said Liu Jun, director of the Baoji Archaeology Institute.
The vessel, one of the six discovered inside the tomb, could be heard to contain a liquid when it was shaken, Liu said.
However, the cover of the vessel was “pretty solid” and there was no appropriate tools to open it at the excavation site. So the liquid remains a mystery, he said.
During the Shang Dynasty (1600 B.C.-1046 B.C.), the dynasty before the Zhou Dynasty, wine became a symbol of corruption as Shang officials used to drink excessively, he said.
The people of Zhou made “prohibition devices” to put on the table to remind people to drink in moderation, he said.
A 95-cm-long and 21-cm-tall “prohibition device” was unearthed with the wine vessels in the same tomb, which is the first of this kind unearthed in Baoji, he said.
- Unknown ancient kingdom found in China - Apr 24, 2011
- China unearths 3,000-year-old fruit cellar - Nov 21, 2010
- Ruins of two 4,000-yr-old cities found in central China - Jan 14, 2011
- Over 100 ancient tombs found in Chinese town - Jun 27, 2011
- Farmers grew rice in China's Yangtze Basin 4,000 years ago - Sep 18, 2009
- Chinese archaeologists discover 2,400-year-old soup pot - Dec 14, 2010
- 2,500-year-old tomb found in China - Apr 24, 2012
- 4,000-year-old tomb found in Egypt - May 29, 2012
- Tomb of ancient China's "major general" unearthed in China - Feb 01, 2010
- Egypt unearths 4,500-year-old tomb - Oct 19, 2010
- Egypt opens six ancient tombs to visitors - May 24, 2011
- Statue fragments of King Tut's grandparents unearthed - Jan 11, 2011
- Chinese terra cotta army was robbed, burned - Jun 10, 2012
- Archaeologists unearth ancient Chinese tomb - Nov 26, 2011
- 57 ancient tombs found in Egypt - May 24, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,