China to cash in on British royal weddingDecember 13th, 2010 - 5:50 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 13 (IANS) A Chinese businessman is gearing up for a business boom by selling souvenirs ahead of the British royal wedding including plastic diamond versions of bride Kate Middleton’s engagement ring.As soon as jewellery dealer Fu Xuxian from Yiwu town in Zhejiang province heard of Prince William’s engagement to Kate, he smelled a business opportunity that transcended borders.
Within days, he began making and exporting replicas of the engagement ring - an 18-carat Ceylon sapphire surrounded by white diamonds that once belonged to late Princess Diana.
“Their wedding will be as big Charles and Diana’s. As a businessperson you have to look for opportunities and then run faster than the competition,” Fu was quoted as saying by Sky News.
The original ring was made by Garrard - crown jewellers since 1843 - and is valued at several hundred thousand pounds.
Fu’s mass-produced version, which retails for just two pounds, is cast in bronze and set with plastic stones.
Fu expects to sell 50,000 of them before the wedding in April.
His factory is also working on a set of royal wedding souvenirs, including mugs, fluffy “William and Kate” toys, and a set of feathered hair ornaments inspired by Middleton’s style.
“I’ve noticed in pictures that she often wears things like this. So I thought there might be a market for them,” he said.
- Diana's ring made smaller to fit Kate's finger - Apr 13, 2011
- Prince William proposed to Kate Middleton with mum's ring - Nov 17, 2010
- Kate Middleton Flashes Her Engagement Ring, Parents Congratulate Them - Nov 17, 2010
- Prince Charles' official online shop sells Wills, Kate jigsaw puzzle - Mar 21, 2011
- Kate Middleton 'getting her wedding ring resized' - Apr 13, 2011
- Tacky souvenirs to go on sale in UK after Will and Kate's engagement! - Nov 18, 2010
- Prince William and Kate Middleton Engaged to Marry in London - Nov 19, 2010
- Princess Diana's Engagement Ring, From Harry to Kate, via Prince William - Nov 18, 2010
- Kate, William join the royals at Madame Tussauds - Apr 04, 2012
- Brides-to-be snap up replicas of Kate Middleton's ring - Dec 14, 2010
- Move over Barbie! Kate Middleton doll is here - Mar 13, 2011
- UK Government trying to make money out of Royal Wedding - Feb 04, 2011
- Royal Mail to release Wills-Kate stamps to celebrate royal wedding - Mar 29, 2011
- Kate's engagement dress sells like hot cakes -- in China - Apr 29, 2011
- British royals may sue if designers make 'Kate Middleton' dresses - Jan 11, 2011
Tags: business boom, businessperson, ceylon, charles and diana, chinese businessman, engagement ring, feathered hair, jewellers, kate middleton, plastic diamond, plastic stones, prince william, princess diana, royal wedding souvenirs, sky news, thousand pounds, two pounds, white diamonds, william and kate, zhejiang province