China employs artificial means to create rains in drought-hit provincesFebruary 9th, 2009 - 6:37 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 9 (ANI): China has employed artificial means to create rains in at least seven provinces to alleviate a rare drought that has hit the areas.
Reports from the China Meteorological Administration (CMA) indicate that local weather-control officials had fired a total of 2,392 artillery shells and launched 409 rockets in 127 cloud-seeding operations by the night of February 7th.
Rain-enhancing practices were adopted in such drought-stricken provincial regions as Henan, Gansu, Ningxia, Shaanxi, Shanxi, Hubei and Anhui, the report said.
In central Chinas Henan, artificial precipitation brought on average 0.5 millimeters of rainfall to 17 counties and cities.
The province, a major wheat-producing area, is suffering the worst drought in half a century.
Parts of the artificially moistened provinces and north Chinas Hebei Province saw one to five millimeters of rain from Saturday to Sunday morning, the National Meteorological Center (NMC) reported.
Parts of Shaanxi, Shanxi, Henan, Anhui and Hubei saw thick clouds on Feb 8th, whuich are favorable for more rain-inducing measures, said the CMA.
China has declared the highest level of emergency in response to the drought that began to hit most parts of northern China in November.
The foul weather had affected 161 million mu (10.7 million hectares) of crops, 4.37 million people and 2.1 million heads of livestock across the country. (ANI)
- China creates artificial rain in drought-hit provinces - Feb 08, 2009
- Snowfall eases drought in China - Feb 11, 2011
- Snowfall brings respite to wheat crops in China (Lead) - Feb 11, 2011
- Rains likely to hit China's food bowl - May 28, 2012
- Millions short of water as drought hits eastern China - Dec 30, 2010
- Nearly 2.2 million Chinese population hit by drought - Jan 18, 2011
- Millions affected in drought hit China - Jan 29, 2011
- Millions facing water shortage in China - Jan 29, 2011
- Rainfall brings relief to drought-hit Chinese province - Mar 29, 2010
- China on highest flood alert, 550,000 evacuated - Jun 17, 2011
- China earmarks $1 bn to battle drought - Feb 10, 2011
- 11 killed in south China rains - Jul 15, 2012
- Heavy rains bring relief to drought-hit China - Jun 05, 2011
- 55,000 evacuated as fresh floods hit China - Jun 15, 2011
- Drought affects 35 million in China - May 30, 2011
Tags: artillery shells, china meteorological administration, chinas, cloud seeding, control officials, drought, february 7th, foul weather, gansu, half a century, hebei province, hubei, local weather, millimeters, national meteorological center, northern china, provincial regions, saturday to sunday, thick clouds, weather control