China builds replicas of British townsAugust 9th, 2012 - 4:30 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 9 (IANS) Real estat streets and even red telephone boxes and artificial rivers in an attempt to recreate the British way of life.e developers in China are now copying Tudor buildings, cobbled
“Thames Town”, about 30 km from Shanghai, opened in 2006 as a replica of a small town in Britain, the Daily Mail reported.
The builders even created an artificial river to replicate the Thames.
“I wanted the properties to look exactly the same as those in Britain. I think English properties are very special,” said James Ho, head of one of the companies behind the development, Shanghai Hengde Real Estate.
However, the development designed to house 10,000 people has not proved to be popular.
Reports said the place only attracts tourists wishing to take pictures of its British-style architecture.
In a similar attempt, an identical version of London’s Tower Bridge has been built in Suzhou city in the eastern Chinese province of Jiangsu, while a replica of an Austrian village has been built in the southern city of Huizhou.
- China builds replicas of British towns (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Chinese building mocked as giant long johns - Sep 04, 2012
- Chinese museum to replicate Michelangelo's sculptures - Jun 20, 2011
- Delay in flat transfer hits Himachal real estate - Sep 02, 2012
- Man saved from jumping from Shanghai bridge - May 14, 2012
- Towards transparent transactions in realty industry (Comment) - May 04, 2011
- Suzhou: China's Venice of the East (Letter from China) - Oct 09, 2011
- Reality sector resents black money accusations - May 29, 2012
- British queen's 60-year crown gala connects to India with mega party (With Image) - Jun 04, 2012
- Code of conduct for Punjab real estate agents - Sep 03, 2011
- Cary Grant's former Palm Springs retreat being sold for $2.9m - Mar 18, 2011
- British Royal Marines practise Olympic security - Jan 17, 2012
- Buying dream cottage in Himachal may get tougher - Apr 11, 2012
- Two Chinese cities to tax second-home - Jan 28, 2011
- Will British era building soon be Shimla spa? (With Image) - Jul 27, 2011
Tags: british style, china, chinese province, daily mail, developers, jiangsu, london, real estate, red telephone, rivers, shanghai, style architecture, telephone boxes, thames town, tourists, tower bridge, tudor buildings, way of life