China aims for disabled-friendly environmentJuly 11th, 2012 - 12:16 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 11 (IANS) China has new regulation to facilitate a disabled-friendly environment in the country.
It requires all parking lots, commercial centres, living quarters, transportation facilities and other public infrastructure facilities to be accessible to the differently-abled people, Xinhua reported citing a government website.
There are 85 million people with some form of disability in China. Last year, the government had issued a five-year blueprint for improving the lives of the disabled.
The new law, which encourages public venues to offer free services to the disabled, turns effective from Aug. 1,2012.
The construction of facilities for the disabled is intended to allow the disabled population to benefit from China’s economic and social development, said an official from the legislative affairs office of the State Council.
Under the regulation, government administrations above the county level will be required to create renovation plans that call for the installation of disabled-friendly facilities in public venues.
In addition, the regulation orders government administrations above the county level to give priority to development of special education organisations, as well as rehabilitation and social welfare institutions.
Given the country’s rural-urban development gap, villages and townships will be given time to catch up with counties and cities.
It also says the construction standards in townships and villages should gradually come to resemble those specified in the regulation.
- Schools seek government aid for educating disabled - Jan 30, 2012
- Winds of change for physically challenged (Feature) - Mar 04, 2012
- Disabled-friendly pavements in Delhi: Dikshit - Dec 03, 2009
- Delhi University dons a disabled-friendly avatar - Jul 10, 2011
- Wasnik releases Microsoft's disabled-friendly software tools - Dec 03, 2011
- Himachal activist gets Rajiv Gandhi award - Nov 14, 2011
- $5 bn subsidy for Chinese rural households - Jul 14, 2012
- Indian firm bags township project in Rwanda - Jun 26, 2012
- More than 300 people trapped, 12, 300 evacuated in China floods - Jul 18, 2010
- Disabled demand change in mindsets, policy (Dec 3 is World Disability Day) - Dec 02, 2010
- National Museum holds workshop for disabled kids - Aug 04, 2011
- A journey of a different kind in Ladakh - Feb 21, 2011
- Disabled in capital unhappy with CWG arrangements - Sep 17, 2010
- From streetscaping to lights - CAG slams Delhi government - Aug 05, 2011
- China to build five-star toilet - Jul 23, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,