Children come with a high carbon cost!March 16th, 2009 - 2:28 pm ICT by ANI
London, March 16 (ANI): In a new research, a statistician in the US has suggested that every individual is not only liable for the greenhouse gas emissions caused by him, but also for his children, and further descendants.
According to a report in New Scientist, the statistician in question is Paul Murtaugh, from Oregon State University in Corvallis, US.
If you have a child, you and you partner are each responsible for half its emissions. If that child has kids, one-quarter of their emissions are down to you, and so on, said Murtaugh.
How it adds up depends on population trends and emission changes in the future, he added.
Murtaugh used UN population projections, which say that after 2050, birth rates in all countries will be 1.85 children per woman, on an average.
Then, he took three emissions futures: rising business-as-usual emissions, constant emissions, and save-the-planet levels that fall to half a tonne of carbon dioxide (CO2) per capita per year by 2100.
With rising future emissions, each extra child in the US would eventually result in eight times the lifetime carbon footprint of the average US resident today.
Even with constant per-capita emissions, its nearly six times - or nearly 10,000 tonnes of CO2.
In the shrinking-emissions scenario, the US legacy per child would only be about 500 tonnes, roughly one-third of current lifetime emissions. (ANI)
- Global CO2 emissions continue to soar - Jul 20, 2012
- Family planning may help reduce "carbon footprint" of people - Aug 01, 2009
- Australia overtakes US as worst per-capita carbon-dioxide polluter - Sep 11, 2009
- What makes one city better than another? - Nov 11, 2010
- Himachal to be carbon neutral by 2020: Dhumal - Feb 02, 2012
- Global CO2 emissions reach record high in 2010: IEA - May 31, 2011
- Global carbon emissions up 50 percent - Dec 05, 2011
- India to slash transport emissions - Nov 13, 2010
- Slashing meat intake vital for curbing emissions - Apr 16, 2012
- World's top polluters (To go with Stronger India goes to climate summit) - Dec 06, 2009
- City dwellers harm climate less - Mar 24, 2009
- 'India's per capita carbon emissions to rise threefold by 2030' - Feb 25, 2010
- Climate change far worse than thought before - Jan 03, 2010
- Growth in Asia at high environmental cost: UN - Sep 19, 2011
- Eating wisely can lower carbon footprint: Study - May 14, 2012
Tags: birth rates, capita, carbon dioxide, carbon footprint, co2, descendants, eight times, futures, greenhouse gas emissions, lifetime, london march, murtaugh, new scientist, oregon state university, population projections, population trends, six times, statistician, tonne, tonnes