Cheers! Drinking a pint of beer a day ‘is good for your health’January 14th, 2011 - 11:50 am ICT by ANI
London, Jan 14 (ANI): Doctors have suggested that drinking up to a pint of beer a day is good for the health and can reduce the risk of diabetes and high blood pressure.
They claimed that moderate consumption could even help people lose weight if combined with a healthy diet.
Doctors Ramon Estruch and Rosa Lamuela tested 1,249 men and women over 57 years old.
Those who accompanied a Mediterranean diet with up to a pint of beer ‘not only did not put on weight, but in some cases even lost weight’.
The doctors found beer provides the same health benefits attributed to moderate consumption of wine.
“In this study we banish myths. We know that beer is not to blame for obesity,” the Daily Mail quoted Dr Lamuela as saying.
Beer contains folic acid, vitamins, iron and calcium, which the study claims provide a ‘protective’ effect on the cardiovascular system.
The subjects who regularly drank moderate amounts of beer were less likely to suffer from diabetes and high blood pressure, and had a lower body fat content.
The researchers from Barcelona and Madrid suggested women should drink two small glasses of beer a day while men should drink three, combined with a healthy diet and exercise. (ANI)
- Diet fizzy drinks, artificial sweeteners 'do not raise obesity, diabetes risk' - Apr 19, 2011
- Are diet soft drinks invitation to heart attacks? - Feb 01, 2012
- Frequent tipple halves rheumatoid arthritis risk - Jul 11, 2012
- Fish a day keeps diabetes away - Nov 13, 2011
- Seaweed shake- an effective way to cut your flab! - Apr 22, 2011
- Lifestyle intervention program cuts risk of type 2 diabetes - Oct 02, 2010
- Sugar-sweetened drinks linked to higher BP - Mar 01, 2011
- Heart disease may be linked to prostate cancer - Feb 09, 2012
- Seaweed shake keeps you slim by suppressing hunger - Apr 22, 2011
- Diet and exercise 'more effective for weight loss when combined' - Apr 15, 2011
- Binge drinkers at 'higher risk of heart disease' - Nov 24, 2010
- Avoid coffee with fast food - Apr 01, 2011
- Watch your diet, you multi-tasking women! (March 8 is International Women's Day) - Mar 06, 2012
- Regular soda intake spikes stroke risk - Apr 22, 2012
- Obama gets clean bill of health - Nov 01, 2011
Tags: barcelona, body fat content, calcium, cardiovascular system, cheers, daily mail, diabetes, doctors, health benefits, healthy diet, high blood pressure, london jan, mediterranean diet, men and women, moderate amounts, moderate consumption, myths, obesity, pint of beer, vitamins