Cell phones, Internet bad for the soul, warns VaticanNovember 28th, 2008 - 1:16 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 28 (ANI): The Vatican has warned that people obsessed with modern technology, such internet and mobile phones risked, are risking losing their souls.
The spokesperson for Pope Benedict XVI, Father Federico Lombardi revealed that the obsession is taking people away from spirituality.
In the age of the cell phone and the internet it is probably more difficult than before to protect silence and to nourish the interior dimension of life, the Telegraph quoted Father Lombardi as telling Vatican television show Octavia Dies.
It is difficult but necessary. There is an interior and spiritual dimension of life that must be guarded and nourished. If it is not, it can become barren to the point of drying up and, indeed, dying.
Today, this is a very grave threat, and it is the most irreparable misfortune, he added.
Last month, Pope Benedict XVI had said that the current global financial crisis was proof that the pursuit of money and success is pointless, and that wealth meant nothing. (ANI)
- Pope Benedict XVI wraps up his visit to Spain - Aug 22, 2011
- Pope Benedict's butler to face trial for stealing letters - Aug 13, 2012
- Women as well as men can use condoms to stop HIV: Vatican - Nov 24, 2010
- Sex abuse victims meet Vatican spokesman - Nov 02, 2010
- Vatican to take legal action against Benetton advertisement - Nov 18, 2011
- Pope ready to meet sex abuse victims - Apr 10, 2010
- Pope 'well' after being knocked down (Second Lead) - Dec 25, 2009
- Pope's stance on condoms 'not revolutionary', says Vatican - Nov 22, 2010
- Sex abuse scandal overshadows Pope's British trip - Sep 14, 2010
- Pope turns 85 - Apr 16, 2012
- Vatican is trying to save Iranian woman - Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani from her stoning ordeal - Sep 06, 2010
- Vatican releases Papal book - Nov 24, 2010
- Vatican defends wartime pope's beatification - Dec 24, 2009
- Vatican condemns China-sponsored ordination - Nov 25, 2010
- Pope signs letter on child abuse cases in Ireland - Mar 19, 2010
Tags: benedict xvi, cell phone, federico lombardi, global financial crisis, grave threat, misfortune, mobile phones, modern technology, obsession, octavia, pope benedict, pope benedict xvi, silence, spiritual dimension, spirituality, spokesperson, telegraph, television show, vatican, vatican television