Celestial wedding of Lord Sri Venkateswara performed in ChennaiApril 7th, 2008 - 10:16 pm ICT by admin
Chennai, April 7 (ANI): Hundred of thousands of people converged here on Sunday to attend the symbolic celestial wedding of Sri Venkateswara with his two consorts Padmavati and Laxmi, as their processional idols were carried here.
The idols made of precious stones belong to the Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam of Tirupati in Andhra Pradesh.
The ceremony was organized as “Kalyana Mahotsavam” the symbolic wedding of the God Sri Venkateswara, popularly known as Lord Balaji.
Organised at a heavily decorated venue in the metropolis amidst chanting of sacrosanct hymns by priests, it was held for to benefit all those devotees, especially the poor, who couldnot visit the Balaji temple at Tirupati to seek religious merit.
“Lakhs and lakhs of people who are unable to even visit Tirumala Tirupati and watch this Kalyan Utsav thats why the Kalyanam is conducted here. It gives opportunity to lakhs and lakhs of people to see the function and get the blessings of god,” said Ramasubramaniam, a devotee.
The temple administration brought all gold ornaments to Chennai and decorated the idols of Lord Venkateswara and his consorts Padmavati (Bhudevi) and Laxmi (Sridevi).
Over 50 persist of the temple including the chief priest P.Seshadari of the Tirumala Temple (Andhra Pradesh) performed the divine marriage using Mangal Sutra (the wedding thread) on the auspicious time.
Priests prayed to the Hindu pantheon of gods and goddesses on the occasion to sanctify the celestial marriage.
Tirupati, the actual abode of Lord Venkateswara is in Andhra Pradesh. (ANI)
- Sri Lankan president prays at Tirupati temple for team's victory - Apr 02, 2011
- Manmohan Singh offers prayers at Tirupati temple - Sep 01, 2010
- A sea of devotees attend Lord Balajis wedding in Delhi - Mar 22, 2008
- Rajapaksa prays for team at Tirupati, leaves for Mumbai - Apr 02, 2011
- Tirumala temple shut for lunar eclipse - Jun 16, 2011
- India celebrates Mahashivratri with fasting and prayers (Roundup) - Mar 02, 2011
- Thousands of devotees converge at Tirupati for Brahmotsavam - Sep 23, 2009
- President offers prayers at Tirupati - Jul 07, 2011
- President Mukherjee's first official visit to Chennai, Tiruputi - Sep 07, 2012
- Mass marriages in Andhra; 12,000 enter into wedlock - May 20, 2011
- Lucknow celebrates Mahashivratri with fervour - Mar 02, 2011
- Janmashtami celebrations in Lucknow - Aug 22, 2011
- Kites, feasts, dancing mark Makar Sankranti celebrations (Roundup) - Jan 15, 2012
- Action sought against Jagan over Tirupati row, YSR party hits back (Lead) - May 03, 2012
- Guruvayur temple saw 198 weddings in a single day (Feature With Image) - Sep 21, 2010
Tags: andhra pradesh, auspicious time, balaji temple, celestial marriage, chief priest, devotee, gods and goddesses, hindu pantheon, kalyan, kalyana, kalyanam, lakhs, laxmi, lord balaji, lord venkateswara, padmavati, processional, sridevi, tirumala temple, tirumala tirupati devasthanam