Cash receipts from McDonald’s, KFC ‘harmful to your health’July 28th, 2010 - 3:17 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, July 28 (ANI): The next time you collect your cash receipt from fast-food outlets or groceries, be careful - a new study claims the receipts contain high levels of the endocrine-disrupting chemical bisphenol A.
The study by Environmental Working Group found the plastic component BPA on 40 percent of receipts from McDonald’s, CVS, KFC, Whole Foods, Wal-Mart, Safeway and other businesses.
Animal tests have shown that BPA can induce abnormal reproductive system development, diminished intellectual capacity and behavioural abnormalities.
It can set the stage for other serious conditions, such as reproductive system cancer, obesity, diabetes, early puberty, resistance to chemotherapy, asthma and cardiovascular system disorders.
“Consumers are being exposed to BPA at the point of sale once they’re handed a receipt,” AOL News quoted senior scientist Dr. Anila Jacob as saying.
Piling up in purses month after month, these receipts could easily contaminate fingers, which then can result in oral or dermal exposure, the physician explained.
The Zurich Official Food Control Authority reported that BPA from register receipts can “enter the skin to such a depth that it can no longer be washed off.”
The find is especially crucial for cans for processed food, baby bottles and infant formula.
And not just consumers, millions of people who staff cash registers and bag groceries at tens of thousands of retailers across the country are also at a high risk.
The risk from handling BPA-laden receipts can be significant, Jacob said, and added that eliminating exposure to this ubiquitous yet toxic substance should remain the first priority of U.S. lawmakers. (ANI)
- Food packaging harbours harmful toxins - Mar 31, 2011
- Chemical BPA found on the receipts of the cash registers - Jul 28, 2010
- Paper money contaminated with bisphenol A - Aug 11, 2011
- Cash receipts, currency notes carry toxic hazards: Study - Jul 12, 2012
- Foetal exposure to chemical BPA causes problems in girls - Oct 24, 2011
- Exposure to chemical fosters anxiety - Sep 09, 2012
- Exposure to low doses of BPA alters mice ovaries - Aug 26, 2010
- Exposure to plastics chemical linked to reduced semen quality - Oct 28, 2010
- High plastic chemical levels in urine ruins males' sex drive - May 28, 2010
- Exposure to chemical may lead to Down's Syndrome - Sep 25, 2011
- Plastic bottle compound harms several generation - Jun 17, 2012
- Being to clean could make you prone to more allergies - Nov 29, 2010
- Plastics chemical 'can damage egg quality in women' - Dec 16, 2010
- Exposure to Bisphenol A may cause male impotence - Nov 11, 2009
- Dangerous plastics chemical can pass through the skin - Nov 05, 2010
Tags: anila jacob, animal tests, baby bottles, bpa, cardiovascular system, cash receipt, cash receipts, cash registers, dermal exposure, environmental working group, food control, food outlets, harmful to your health, intellectual capacity, plastic component, processed food, reproductive system, toxic substance, wal mart, whole foods