Carbon monoxide can protect against arterial clottingJune 24th, 2009 - 5:12 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, June 24 (ANI): Carbon monoxide might be known for its harmful effects, but a new study has shown that it can protect against arterial clotting.
Carbon monoxide is extremely poisonous, and can inhibit the exposure of oxygen, resulting in death.
However, the researchers have shown that inflamed or injured tissues up regulate heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1), a protein that both protects cells and produces CO, suggesting that low levels of CO may have protective effects.
During the study, Chen et al examined clotting mechanisms in mice that received arterial transplants.
They found that absence of HO-1 in these mice resulted in significant mortality due to arterial clotting; however, treatment with a CO-releasing molecule both decreased clotting and improved survival.
The researchers concluded that HO-1/CO plays an “important role …[in] protection against vascular arterial thrombosis in murine aortic allotransplantation.”
The study appears in the American Journal of Pathology. (ANI)
- How sickle haemoglobin protects against malaria - Apr 29, 2011
- Ginkgo extract may help prevent stroke damage - Oct 10, 2008
- Slow blood flow hinders statins' protective effect - Jul 13, 2009
- Red wine shields brain from stroke damage - Apr 22, 2010
- Why broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower are good for heart - Sep 05, 2009
- Statin can prevent strokes, besides lowering lipids - Jan 05, 2012
- Dark chocolate may provide protection against brain injury from stroke - May 06, 2010
- How humans avoid carbon monoxide poisoning - Sep 21, 2011
- Anti-oxidant drug may protect against deadly forms of malaria - Aug 18, 2009
- Tangerines help prevent obesity, protect against heart disease - Apr 07, 2011
- Now, a drug that can reduce heart attack damage - Jul 25, 2009
- Compound in apple, onion can beat blood clots: Study - May 09, 2012
- Antioxidant protein promotes clogging of arteries, says study - Jan 11, 2011
- For aortic grafts, patient's own veins are a much better idea - Dec 31, 2009
- Culprits in life-threatening clotting disorder uncovered - Dec 04, 2010
Tags: absence, american journal of pathology, arterial thrombosis, carbon monoxide, cells, journal of pathology, june 24, mechanisms, mice, molecule, mortality, murine, oxygen, protein, survival, thrombosis, tissues, transplants