Car that uses 10,000 cups of espresso as fuel!March 11th, 2010 - 4:34 pm ICT by ANI
London, March 11 (ANI): Jem Stansfield, a BBC presenter, will drive from London to Manchester to test an experimental car, which runs on coffee grounds.
BBC1’s Bang Goes The Theory host will travel 210-miles in the car fuelled by 10,000 espressos.
Stansfield built the car to show how alternative energy sources can be harnessed.
The car, made from scrap, needs to be refuelled every 40 miles.
The vehicle features a system converting the grounds into flammable gases, which fuel the engine instead of petrol.
With his new invention, Stansfield aims to encourage young people to think about how we can tap into energy from waste products and new sources.
‘Everyone recognises that coffee can give a person a bit of a boost, but many probably had no idea it had enough energy locked away to power a car,” the Telegraph quoted him as saying.
‘It’s important for kids to understand that power is not something that is mystically there, simply at the flick of a switch or by pushing a pedal.
‘With the energy challenge that is facing the world, the more we encourage children to think about alternative fuels, where energy is stored and how it can be released, the better,’ he added. (ANI)
- Brit 'Human Spiderman' scales 30 feet wall using vacuum cleaner device - Feb 16, 2010
- Olympic taxis to fill up in Swindon - Aug 01, 2012
- Indian, Israeli experts tap sun for hybrid power plants - Feb 14, 2012
- Mahindra launches hydrogen-powered three-wheeler - Jan 09, 2012
- Saline aquifers can store century's worth of CO2 emissions - Mar 22, 2012
- Brewing a national coffee culture: Delhi to host coffee fest - Dec 26, 2011
- Man climbs building using "vacuum-cleaner" gloves - Jul 26, 2009
- Indian 'jugaad' on show: Royal Enfield Bullet as plough and coffee maker! - May 13, 2012
- Mahindra Group unveils electric car - Jan 07, 2012
- New solar fuel device that 'mimics plant life' - Dec 24, 2010
- A Volkswagen Beetle Convertible That Runs On Human Poo - Aug 08, 2010
- Hydrogen Highway all set to debut in South Wales - Feb 16, 2010
- Finnish man gives his Chevrolet eco-friendly makeover to run on wood chips - Apr 16, 2011
- Tweaking batteries for faster electric cars - Feb 27, 2012
- Tata funds research project on water as auto fuel - Dec 31, 2010
Tags: alternative energy sources, alternative fuels, bbc, bbc presenter, coffee grounds, energy challenge, espresso, espressos, facing the world, flammable gases, flick, jem, london march, march 11, new invention, petrol, stansfield, telegraph