Caffeine, technology ruining teens’ sleep patternsMay 2nd, 2011 - 7:22 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, May 2 (ANI): Researchers have for decades been studying the effect of increasing use of media at night and its impact on adolescent sleep time.
Now, a new study has for the first time evaluated the consequences of caffeine and technology at night and their effect on adolescent sleep.
Working with data gathered through interviews of 100 children ages 12 to 18, Christina Calamaro, assistant professor and director of the School’s Primary Care Pediatric Nurse Practitioner master’s specialty discovered that the more nighttime multitasking teens did, the more caffeine they consumed, and the less they slept.
Eighty-five percent of the teens in the study drank caffeine daily, and 11 percent of those she studied drank more than 400 mg of caffeine daily-the equivalent of four espressos.
“It is not just about caffeine, it’s about calories,” she said.
The study has been published in Pediatrics. (ANI)
- Caffeine, Internet, SMSs ruining teens' sleep patterns - Jul 26, 2009
- Caffeine negatively affects kids: Study - Dec 16, 2010
- U.S. Kids Consume Caffeine Almost Everyday, Study Says - Dec 18, 2010
- Mega-sized coffee, energy drinks 'laden with excess sugar, calories' - Feb 04, 2011
- Sacrificing sleep for study hits academics - Aug 21, 2012
- High-sugar diets in teens 'increase heart disease risk later in life' - Jan 11, 2011
- Night-shift workers should avoid coffee - Nov 05, 2009
- Genetic variants linked to caffeine intake discovered - Apr 07, 2011
- Tart cherry juice drinkers sleep better - Dec 09, 2011
- Night owls at greater risk of piling on pounds - May 05, 2011
- Caffeinated gum keeps Israeli pilots, commandos alert - May 18, 2012
- Boys get greater rush, more energy from caffeine than girls - Feb 19, 2011
- Vapor rub effective for treating kids with cough and congestion - Nov 08, 2010
- Just a single espresso a day 'can damage heart' - Feb 12, 2010
- High caffeine energy 'shots' harmful for youngsters - Jun 03, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,