Bye-bye sniffer dogs! Now, trained mice to sniff out terrorists at airports!February 3rd, 2011 - 1:42 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 3 (ANI): Israeli researchers have developed a new detector where trained teams of mice will sniff would-be bombers and drugs at airports.
Researchers say it is more accurate than using dogs, pat downs and x-ray machines, reports the Daily Mail.
It looks like a metal detector or full-body scanner, but one side of it houses three concealed cartridges, each containing eight specially trained mice.
The animals work four-hour shifts, milling around in an allocated cartridge while sniffing air pumped in from outside.
When they pick up traces of explosives or drugs, they flee to a side chamber, triggering an alarm, according to New Scientist.
To avoid false positives, more than one mouse must run away.
“It is as if they are smelling a cat and escaping. We detect the escape,” inventor, Eran Lumbroso, of BioExplorers Company said.
The device was field tested last year on 1,000 shoppers in a Tel Aviv mall when the mice successfully picked out the 22 people with mock explosives in their pockets. (ANI)
- Tweaking chips to locate concealed explosives - Sep 13, 2012
- Full-body scanner row: US denies checking all travellers - Nov 23, 2010
- Sounds, smells help people learn while asleep? - Aug 27, 2012
- Remote sensing system can sniff out hidden explosives - Jul 12, 2010
- TSA pat-down rules 'handing terrorists a victory,' says privacy expert - Nov 28, 2010
- Plastic based deadly explosive used in Delhi blast - Sep 07, 2011
- 'Now 'body scanners' could be deployed at US train stations, subways, other mass transits' - Nov 26, 2010
- Beware! Pain killers could spike your BP - Mar 21, 2012
- TSA body scanners are tipping point for travellers - Nov 28, 2010
- Turmeric can fight colon cancer - Mar 03, 2011
- Bomb found in Assam train, defused - Aug 12, 2011
- Australian women's jail to have full-body scanner - Aug 16, 2010
- Soon, nasal spray vaccine to fight Alzheimer's, stroke - Mar 01, 2011
- Now, remote sensing to help detect hidden explosives - Jul 12, 2010
- Trials of full-body scanners at Delhi airport from May - Feb 03, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,