British woman becomes first-time mother at 66May 28th, 2009 - 11:50 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 28 (DPA) A 66-year-old businesswoman was Thursday reported to have become Britain’s oldest mother after giving birth to her first child, a healthy baby boy.
Media reports said Elizabeth Adeney, who travelled to Ukraine to have fertility treatment, delivered the baby by Cesarian section at Addenbrooke’s hospital in Cambridge Tuesday.
Adeney, who is going to be 67 in July, was due to give birth next month, but brought the procedure forward, the Daily Mirror said. She had earlier made clear that she had wanted to keep her pregnancy and birth secret.
A hospital spokesman Thursday said: “She has told us that she wants no publicity.”
Adeney, a wealthy businesswoman and divorcee, was earlier reported to have received IVF treatment using a donor egg at a clinic in Ukraine.
In Britain, Adeney would take the title of “oldest mother” from Patricia Rashbrook, who had a son, at the age of 62 in 2006, following treatment from Italian fertility doctor Severino Antinori.
However, Antinori told a British newspaper earlier this month that he was “shocked” at the prospect of Adeney having a child.
“I respect the choice medically but I think anything over 63 is risky because you cannot guarantee the child will have a loving mother or family,” he said.
But Adeney is on record as saying that she is “fitter” than most of the younger women working for her in her plastics and textiles company.
“I don’t have to defend what I’ve done. It’s between me, my baby and no-one else,” she said.
In 2006, Carmela Bousada of Spain was believed to have become the oldest mother of twins at 66. The oldest mother in the world is believed to be an Indian woman, Omkari Panwar, who gave birth at the age of 70 in 2008.
- Britain's oldest mother 'gives birth to baby boy' - May 28, 2009
- 66 years old single mum gives birth to twins conceived via IVF - Mar 08, 2012
- UK's oldest mum returns to work just four weeks after giving birth! - Jun 28, 2009
- 66-year-old set to become UK's oldest mum - May 16, 2009
- World's oldest new mother passes away at 69 - Jul 16, 2009
- Triplets Born to 66 Year Old Woman in India - Jun 23, 2010
- Mexican woman with nine babies a fraud, say doctors - May 01, 2012
- 66-year-old Indian woman gives birth to triplets - Jun 23, 2010
- 57-year-old Indian woman delivers twins, sets Australian record - Nov 07, 2010
- Ukrainian woman gives birth to 20th child - Apr 22, 2011
- 66-year-old gives birth to triplets in Haryana - Jun 13, 2010
- 61-year-old US woman delivers her own grandson! - Feb 14, 2011
- World's oldest mother celebrates her child's first birthday - Nov 28, 2009
- Baby with two heads born in Brazil - Dec 22, 2011
- World's oldest mother considering having another child at 72 - Nov 13, 2010
Tags: british woman, businesswoman, daily mirror, divorcee, donor egg, fertility doctor, fertility treatment, giving birth, hospital spokesman, indian woman, loving mother, mother of twins, oldest mother, patricia rashbrook, pregnancy and birth, s hospital, severino, textiles company, time mother, younger women