British court orders force-feeding for dying anorexic womanJune 16th, 2012 - 10:27 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 16 (IANS) An anorexic woman, who started controlling her eating habits at 11 and was described as having an “obsessive fear of weight gain”, should be force-fed, a British court has ordered.
The 32-year-old, a former medical student from Wales, has not eaten for over a year. She is in a community hospital under a palliative care regime whose purpose is to “allow her to die in comfort”, The Sun reported.
She had a Body Mass Index (BMI) - a calculation of a person’s weight in kilograms divided by the square of their height in metres - of 11.3 when last measured whereas a healthy figure is about 20.
Justice Peter Jackson, at London’s Court of Protection, ruled that it was in the “extremely severe” anorexic’s best interests to be fed “forcibly if necessary”.
Justice Jackson added: “Albeit gravely unwell, she is not incurable. She does not seek death, but she does not want to eat or to be fed.
“She sees her life as pointless and wants to be allowed to make her own choices, realising that refusal to eat must lead to her death.”
- Brain wiring makes women anorexic or obese - May 15, 2012
- I am not anorexic: Miley Cyrus - Apr 09, 2012
- Aubrey O'Day breaks down over her weight issues - Mar 09, 2011
- Plea for comatose rape victim revives euthansia debate - Dec 17, 2009
- Megan Fox 'not suffering from anorexia' - Mar 09, 2011
- Ramdev may be force-fed - Jun 09, 2011
- Jessica Simpson Claims Plastic Surgery Rumors To Be False - Jun 17, 2010
- Diane Kruger has no weight issues - Aug 24, 2010
- What's your ideal body mass index? - Dec 02, 2010
- Megan Fox not anorexic, says trainer - Mar 10, 2011
- 'Real Housewife' star and White House crasher Salahi denies anorexia claims - Aug 17, 2010
- British woman force feeds baby to death! - Nov 12, 2011
- Social networking group promotes eating disorders - Feb 23, 2011
- Woman hooked to online game neglects kids - Sep 13, 2010
- Michaele Salahi insists she's not 'anorexic' - Aug 07, 2010
Tags: body mass index, body mass index bmi, choices, community hospital, eating habits, fear, force fed, justice jackson, london, medical student, palliative care, peter jackson, regime, sun, wales, weight gain, weight in kilograms