British adults tell on average three lies a dayJanuary 4th, 2011 - 10:38 am ICT by IANS
London, Jan 4 (IANS) An adult in Britain tells on an average three lies a day, including lying about how many people they have had sex with, a survey has found.The study of 3,000 adults by Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment has revealed that more than a third lie regularly about their workload.
More than one quarter have not been completely honest to their partners and do not tell them about how many people they have had sex with, the Daily Express reported.
Nearly all men said they exaggerated about the number of women they had slept with, while the majority of women confessed to have decreased the actual number.
The study was carried out to mark the DVD release of season two of the drama series “Lie To Me”.
“It’s quite surprising how many people purposely lie. Most of the time it appears they do so to make their lives easier - but getting caught can never be a good experience,” a spokesperson said.
While 20 percent Britons do not tell the truth about salaries, four out of 10 people regularly claim falsely to being sick in order to get a day off work.
One in 10 even confessed to having lied about a relative dying to get time off.
In job applications, a quarter admitted not being entirely accurate about previous experience and many exaggerated qualifications.
A fifth also confessed to making things up on their status updates on social networking websites such as Facebook and Twitter.
Some people also revealed they had broken something and then returned it to a shop claiming it was faulty.
A high percentage of Britons also seem to struggle to be completely truthful about their age and weight.
“It is staggering to realise that we tell more lies to our loved ones than anyone else. It is scary to think that what we take as the truth could be a complete lie,” the spokesman said.
- Average adult in Britain tells 3 lies a day: Survey - Jan 03, 2011
- People tell more lies in January - Jan 13, 2012
- Britain turning a nation of fibbers - Aug 29, 2012
- Tourists to London might be foxed by local language - Jul 17, 2012
- Overacting easy for Boman Irani - Aug 10, 2012
- Quarter of Brits lie about their days off to impress others - Mar 07, 2011
- A machine that can tell when you're lying - Mar 27, 2012
- Now study says parents turning embarrassment for kids - Sep 06, 2011
- Bosses, office politics ruling our dreamworld - Dec 11, 2011
- Britons 'too scared' to try outdoor activities - Jun 09, 2010
- 1 in 5 Brits wear their undies at least 250 times before buying new ones! - Dec 02, 2010
- Most popular lie in UK: 'sorry I had no mobile phone signal' - Apr 02, 2010
- Britons see price, not quality, when it comes to wine - Dec 04, 2010
- Britons preferring a hug to a handshake - May 24, 2012
- Week long break gives just three days rest because it takes four days to switch off - Jun 15, 2012
Tags: adult, british adults, britons, century fox home, century fox home entertainment, daily express, drama series, facebook, fox home entertainment, good experience, london jan, salaries, social networking, spokesman, spokesperson, status updates, truth about, twentieth century fox, twentieth century fox home entertainment, workload