Brit scientists find peanut allergy ”cure”February 20th, 2009 - 1:33 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 20 (ANI): In a breakthrough study, scientists have successfully cured peanut allergy by building up children’’s tolerance to the oval-shaped nut.
The research team from Cambridge’’s Addenbrooke’’s Hospital exposed four children to peanuts over a six-month period, gradually building up their tolerance.
By the end the children were eating the equivalent of five peanuts a day.
“Every time people with a peanut allergy want something, they”re frightened that it might kill them, The BBC quoted Dr Andy Clark, who led the research as saying.
“Our motivation was to find a treatment that would change that and give them the confidence to eat what they like. It’’s all about quality of life.
“It’’s not a permanent cure, but as long as they go on taking a daily dose they should maintain their tolerance,” he added.
During the study, researchers at first exposed the children to tiny 5mg daily doses of peanut flour. The dose was later increased to 800mg - almost equal to five whole peanuts - to build up the tolerance.
John Collard, the clinical director of Allergy UK, said it was “an important step forward”.
“This could make a real difference, but at this stage it is too early to tell whether it will work for everyone, he said.
We need to see it used on more people and over a long period of time,” he added.
However, the research team claimed that follow up is now needed to confirm the findings.
The study has been published in the journal Allergy. (ANI)
- Peanut allergy cure could be available within 3yrs: Expert - Feb 22, 2010
- Cure for peanut allergy may lie in peanuts - Sep 07, 2010
- Breast fed kids to develop nut allergies - Jul 13, 2012
- Peanuts cure kids of allergies - Mar 16, 2009
- Scientists find nut allergy children 'cure' - Jul 19, 2009
- Study: Peanuts should be avoided during Pregnancy - Nov 02, 2010
- Eating Peanuts While Pregnant Linked to Allergies in Baby - Nov 03, 2010
- Possible treatment for peanut allergy identified - Dec 10, 2010
- Eating peanuts during pregnancy 'ups child's risk for peanut allergy' - Nov 01, 2010
- Six mn US kids have food allergy: Study - Jun 21, 2011
- Peanuts on planes are protected by law - Apr 23, 2011
- 'Milk drops' under the tongue can treat milk allergies - Mar 01, 2010
- No need to ban peanuts in schools, airlines: Study - Nov 15, 2010
- Young boys 'face twice the risk of peanut allergy' - Feb 07, 2011
- Kids with less Vitamin D more likely to have allergies - Feb 25, 2011
Tags: andy clark, bbc, breakthrough study, cambridge, clinical director, confidence, daily dose, dr andy, john collard, london feb, motivation, peanut allergy, peanut flour, peanuts, period of time, quality of life, s hospital, scientists, study researchers, tolerance