Brit freediver breaks world record by plunging to depth of 96 meters in single breathApril 3rd, 2009 - 3:36 pm ICT by ANI
London, April 3 (ANI): British freediver Sara Campbell has broken a new world record by plunging to a depth of 96 meters in a single breath, in the Bahamas.
According to a report in the Telegraph, Campbell broke the record while taking part in Vertical Blue 09 in Dean’s Blue Hole, Long Island in the Bahamas, which is 203 meters deep.
Campbell managed to reclaim her world title by holding her breath for three minutes and 46 minutes, while diving to 96 meters and returning safely to the surface.
“The dive felt great and I’m just feeling fantastic,” she said. “At one point, I started feeling negative thoughts - ‘do I really want to do this?’ - but then I told myself not to be ridiculous, just get it done, go for the bottom,” she added.
Campbell, from Wandsworth in south London, is known as “Mighty Mouse” because of her small height at just under five feet, but large lung capacity which is 22 per cent larger than the average woman of her size.
The former yoga instructor took up diving in 2005 and set three world records within 48 hours just nine months after turning competitive.
Her speciality is ‘Constant Weight’, where a diver uses a monofin and the body’s own power to propel them through the water. No weights are allowed.
Campbell is now aiming to become the first woman to dive to a depth of 100 meters.
“I know I can do it, it’s not a matter of ‘if’ but ‘when’,” she said. (ANI)
- Venezuelan man sets world freediving record in underwater tunnel network - Nov 05, 2010
- Kiwi man sets world record diving 116m without fins! - Apr 24, 2010
- Noble sets Oz freediving "no limits" record at 105 metres - Jul 04, 2010
- Swiss diver breaks record staying submerged for almost 20 mins! - Feb 17, 2010
- Naval divers set national deep sea diving record (With image) - Feb 16, 2011
- Navy Divers set national record for deep diving - Feb 17, 2011
- Briton hospitalised after diving in Russia - Jan 21, 2012
- China deep-sea submersible sets diving record - Jun 17, 2012
- Olympics: US teen prodigy claims gold in 800m freestyle - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Isenbayeva misses hat-trick; second gold for Sanchez after eight (Athletics Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- Chinese submersible dives to over 7,000 metres record - Jun 24, 2012
- Biel becomes professional scuba diver - Jul 01, 2012
- Chinese submersible Jiaolong reaches record depths - Jul 27, 2011
- China becomes fifth country to acquire deep-diving technology - Aug 27, 2010
- China submersible to attempt 7,000-meter dive - Jun 03, 2012
Tags: blue hole, dean, first woman, five feet, freediver, island in the bahamas, long island, lung capacity, mighty mouse, monofin, negative thoughts, new world record, nine months, sara, south london, telegraph, three minutes, wandsworth, weights, yoga instructor