Breastfeeding women hold protest after abuse in cafeJuly 5th, 2012 - 6:31 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 5 (IANS) Carrying signs that read “Mother Suckers”, over 200 breastfeeding mothers marched through Britain’s Bristol city Thursday after one woman said she was verbally abused by a waitress for feeding her baby at her cafe.
Kelly Schaecher, 28, said she had intended to breastfeed her five-month-old daughter Sasha while eating at the Park Street Cafe, The Sun reported.
But when she sat down, a waitress came over and told her she would have to sit in the corner if she wanted to feed her baby.
Schaecher said that after she left the cafe, the waitress followed her down the road and screamed: “Don’t you ever come back to my cafe with your t*** out again!”
“When this happened, I was absolutely terrified, and really shocked. I was only breastfeeding, and Bristol is a really family-friendly city. You see girls in nightclubs barely wearing any clothes all the time, so why would someone have a problem with me feeding my child?” said Schaecher, who works in procurement at the University of Bristol.
Word spread about the alleged incident, and Schaecher found a Facebook page calling for mothers to meet up and breastfeed at the cafe.
On Thursday, the crowd of women went to the cafe to make their feelings known. Many were carrying signs that read “Lactavists” and “Mother Suckers”.
The cafe owner apologised, and gave everyone free tea or coffee and cake.
- Gisele Bundchen calls for breastfeeding law - Aug 03, 2010
- Surgeon General advises more breastfeeding - Jan 24, 2011
- A quiet revolution saving rural children's lives (Aug 1-7 is World Breastfeeding Week) - Jul 31, 2011
- Sarah Palin mocks Michelle Obama's breastfeeding initiative - Feb 18, 2011
- Kerr encourages breastfeeding - Jan 26, 2011
- 'Breast is best' slogan not convincing mums to breastfeed - Jun 22, 2010
- Oz mums divided over revival of breastfeeding each other's babies - Nov 02, 2010
- Half of new mums not comfy with breastfeeding in public - Jun 17, 2010
- Sarah Palin's breastfeeding joke backfires - Feb 19, 2011
- Denise Van Outen hits out at 'breastfeeding bullies' - Aug 31, 2010
- Woman calls cops after cafe waitress says she smells - Aug 04, 2012
- Kim Kardashian claims that her 'breastfeeding tweet' was misunderstood - Jun 22, 2010
- Parenting magazine slammed for calling breastfeeding 'creepy' - Jun 27, 2010
- 'Worldwide law' needed to force mums to breastfeed for 6 months: Gisele Bundchen - Aug 03, 2010
- Breastfeeding mechanics revealed - May 13, 2010
Tags: apologised, breastfeeding mothers, breastfeeding women, bristol city, clothes, coffee and cake, crowd, daughter sasha, feelings, free tea, friendly city, girls, lactavists, nightclubs, procurement, protest, signs, suckers, university of bristol, waitress