Breastfeeding protects preemies against urinary tract infectionsDecember 21st, 2008 - 1:07 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Dec 21 (ANI): A new study has revealed that breastfeeding can protect preterm infants against urinary tract infections.
For the study, lead researcher Dr. Itzhak Levy performed a case controlled study in a tertiary care neonatal intensive care unit between 1995 and 2003.
The study group included all premature infants less than 37 weeks gestation diagnosed with a urinary tract infection and were compared with a gestational age and birth weight matched infant population without UTIs.
He found that the main organism present was a klebsiella species. They found that male gender played a role along with the presence of a peripheral IV - which was significantly associated with urinary tract infection.
Moreover, they found breast milk was associated with a lower risk of infection with a 95pct confidence interval and P value less than 0.0009.
It is believed that the maternal immunoglobulins passed through breast milk must have a protective effect against urinary tract infections. (ANI)
- Breastfeeding can benefit even the sickest babies - Oct 28, 2010
- Premature babies survive better in neonatal ICUs - Jul 24, 2012
- 6-month drug regimen 'reduces HIV risk for breastfeeding infants' - Mar 03, 2011
- Preterm mums' milk has less antioxidants - Feb 18, 2011
- Babies insufficiently breastfed, finds study - May 02, 2011
- Stress likely to reduce brain size of preterm babies - Oct 04, 2011
- How E. coli triggers urinary infections - Jan 19, 2012
- Bugs filch copper to spread urinary infections - Jul 09, 2012
- Breast milk antibodies help neutralize HIV - May 23, 2012
- Immune system overreaction may open door to recurrent urinary tract infections - Aug 13, 2010
- New approach for treating urinary tract infections - Aug 17, 2012
- Streptococci, E. coli put newborns at risk for sepsis - Apr 26, 2011
- Babies breastfed for six months ward off infections - Sep 28, 2010
- 'Low water intake causes urinary tract infections' - Nov 04, 2010
- Cranberry Juice may help in kids' bladder infections - Sep 10, 2012
Tags: birth weight, breast milk, confidence interval, gestational age, immunoglobulins, infant population, intensive care unit, itzhak, klebsiella species, male gender, neonatal intensive care, neonatal intensive care unit, organism, premature infants, preterm infants, study group, tertiary care, urinary tract infection, urinary tract infections, utis