Breakthrough: Culprit’s DNA can be used to predict probable hair colourJanuary 4th, 2011 - 12:58 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Jan 4 (ANI): Scientists have found that DNA extracted from a person’s blood, sperm, saliva or other biological materials can be used to predict people’s probable hair colour.
The approach allows them to differentiate between hair colours that are similar, for example, between red and reddish blond, or between blond and dark blond hair.
“That we are now making it possible to predict different hair colours from DNA represents a major breakthrough because, so far, only red hair colour, which is rare, could be estimated from DNA,” said Prof. Manfred Kayser, Chair of the Department of Forensic Molecular Biology at Erasmus MC.
“We identified 13 ‘DNA markers’ from 11 genes that are informative to predict a person’s hair colour,” he added.
“This new development results in an important expansion of the future DNA toolkit used by forensic investigators to track down unknown offenders,” said Prof. Ate Kloosterman of the Department of Human Biological Traces at the Netherlands Forensic Institute (NFI).
The current study was directed at the predictability of the colour of the hair on the head. Further research would be necessary to predict the colour of body hair.
The findings will be published today in the Springer journal Human Genetics. (ANI)
- DNA test can now tell hair colour - Jan 06, 2011
- Genes invest you with unique facial identity - Sep 14, 2012
- Test can tell suspect's age from blood drop - Nov 23, 2010
- Scientists identify genes involved in human eye color - May 07, 2010
- How a drop of blood can reveal your age - Nov 23, 2010
- DNA can reveal eye colour - Mar 10, 2009
- Test to identify 'best' sperm developed - May 29, 2010
- Gene-based controls 'could stop mosquitoes spreading malaria' - Apr 21, 2011
- Parents give birth to twins - one ebony, the other ivory! - Feb 25, 2011
- Jawbone found on beach does not belong to long-missing teen Natalee Holloway, prosecutors say - Nov 23, 2010
- Lawrance hair-do in 'Hunger Games' cost 18,000 pounds - Mar 21, 2012
- Handful of walnuts can boost love life - Aug 17, 2012
- 13 new forensic instructors in UAE - Jan 07, 2012
- Sperm identification could improve male fertility - May 29, 2010
- New biochip measures glucose level from saliva - Jan 24, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,