Branson to work as air hostess on AirAsia flightNovember 17th, 2010 - 4:06 pm ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, Nov 17 (IANS) Virgin Atlantic boss Richard Branson will don a striking red skirt and play a stewardess on a rival airline AirAsia flight after he lost a bet with the company’s owner.
Branson lost a friendly bet to AirAsia boss Tony Fernandes as his Formula One Virgin Racing team ended behind Lotus Racing in the overall team rankings.
“We want him to shave his legs. We are going to try and get him to shave his legs and wear some make-up,” The Star quoted Fernandes, the Indian-origin chief of the Malaysian budget airline, as saying Wednesday.
If Richard is sporting, so is Tony. He is prepared to make a concession to his British friend as he seeks his pound of flesh.
“But we will leave his moustache alone as it is his trademark,” said Fernandes, who is the Lotus Racing team principal and AirAsia Group chief executive.
Branson, who has already received his AirAsia badge and uniform for the Kuala Lumpur-London charity flight, has been a good sport about the whole deal, added Fernandes.
The budget airlines owners had wagered the friendly bet at the start of the Formula One (F1) season in March.
Although neither won the race, Lotus Racing finished 10th while Virgin Racing came in last (12th).
Both Branson and Fernandes are big names in the world of civil aviation. Both are knighted in their respective countries. If Branson is Sir Richard, Fernandes has the Malaysian equivalent, Datuk Seri.
The Malaysian media and the online world have been abuzz about the bet, with blogs, Twitter and news portals worldwide picking up on the result of the wager.
The excitement is fuelled further by the fact that Fernandes said Branson would be expected to wear high heels during the flight and perform tasks like any other crew member, including cleaning the toilets, the newspaper said.
A nervous Branson was looking for loopholes to get out of shaving his legs, one report said.
The date of the Kuala Lumpur-London AirAsia flight has yet to be set, but seats will be auctioned off and the money given to Branson’s chosen charity.
- Virgin boss Branson to shave his legs, wear make-up after losing bet? - Nov 17, 2010
- Virgin boss Branson to dress as AirAsia stewardess after losing bet - Nov 16, 2010
- Branson's stint as stewardess put on hold after he injures his knee - Jan 15, 2011
- Richard Branson to serve as 'stewardess' after losing a bet - Nov 15, 2010
- AirAsia chief accepts Branson's 'F1 loser to wear air stewardess dress' challenge - Dec 18, 2009
- FIA approves name changes for three F1 teams - Nov 07, 2011
- Richard Branson's charity flight dressed as "stewardess" postponed again - Apr 23, 2011
- Malaysian airlines troubled by crash rumours - Mar 17, 2011
- Madonna in negotiations to become nightclub owner - Jan 07, 2011
- Indian-origin official named Airline CEO of the Year - Nov 29, 2009
- Malaysia's AirAsia offering 200 dollar return flights from Oz to London - Jun 09, 2010
- Goan origin Fernandes has pan-India aspiration for his AirAsia (Lead) - Apr 13, 2010
- AirAsia launches flight to Bangalore - May 21, 2010
- Chandhok to be reserve driver for Team Lotus - Mar 22, 2011
- Forbes names AirAsia CEO Fernandes Businessman of the Year - Dec 03, 2010
Tags: air hostess, airasia, british friend, budget airline, budget airlines, charity flight, civil aviation, crew member, datuk seri, good sport, indian origin, london charity, lotus racing, malaysian budget, pound of flesh, sir richard, team principal, tony fernandes, twitter, virgin atlantic