Boy finds 500-year-old gold locket while playingNovember 17th, 2010 - 3:02 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 17 (IANS) A three-year-old boy in Britain found a 500-year-old gold locket while playing with a metal detector. The locket could be worth 2.5 million pounds.
The locket found by James Hyatt, who is now four, is believed to be one of only four of its kind in Britain and could have belonged to royalty.
“He (James) was so excited when he realised he had found real treasure.
“He is one of the luckiest people ever. He’ll put his hand down the sofa and pull out a tenner,” The Sun quoted James’s father Jason as saying.
The 2.5cm pendant has a picture engraved on the front of the Virgin Mary clutching a cross and five bleeding hearts on the back. Its sides carry the names of the three kings who visited Christ after his birth.
James, who lives in Billericay, Essex, was out walking with his father and grandfather when he asked if he could use the metal detector.
James said: “It went beep, beep, beep. Then we dug into the mud. There was gold there.”
A government body will assess its value and the proceeds from its sale will be split between the landowner and James’s family.
- Pretty lawyers set Belgian jail alarm bells ringing - Sep 10, 2010
- Pretty lawyers set Belgian jail alarm bells ringing (Lead) - Sep 10, 2010
- Ohio Woman Files Lawsuit Over LeBron James Pendant - Oct 20, 2010
- 3000-yr-old axe heads, spear tips found in Essex dig - Nov 01, 2010
- Largest gold nugget fetches $460,000 during an auction - Mar 18, 2011
- Gold pendant with Admiral Nelson and his lover's hair discovered - Jan 26, 2011
- Belgian prison guards force female lawyers to remove bras - Sep 10, 2010
- Largest-ever Anglo-Saxon treasure trove discovered in Britain - Sep 24, 2009
- Big B abuses in 'Bbuddah...', but in amusing way! - Jun 21, 2011
- Gaddafi kept album of Condoleezza Rice's photos - Aug 26, 2011
- Park Hyatt hotel opens in Hyderabad - Apr 27, 2012
- Roman bronze helmet sells for $3.6 mn - Oct 08, 2010
- Ohio woman files lawsuit over a $10,000 LeBron James pendant - Oct 20, 2010
- Now gold coins in honour of M.S. Subbulakshmi (With Image) - Apr 26, 2012
- New faces in West Indies T20 team want to prove themselves - Apr 13, 2011
Tags: 5 million, beep beep beep, billericay, bleeding hearts, essex, gold locket, government body, hyatt, london, metal detector, mud, names of the three kings, proceeds, royalty, sofa, tenner, three kings, virgin mary