Botox may not be effective in treating migrainesFebruary 10th, 2011 - 3:15 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 10 (ANI): Botox, the popular anti-wrinkle jab, is unlikely to offer much benefit in the treatment of chronic migraine, say experts.
The injection has been licensed in the UK and US as a preventative treatment for chronic cases.
However, a review of evidence by the Drug and Therapeutics Bulletin said it could not “see a place” for giving Botox to migraine sufferers.
Migraine Action said patients should still be given the option of having Botox as some had seen improvements.
It is not clear how the neurotoxin works in chronic migraines but it is thought that it may block pain signals.
A trial of more than 1,300 patients showed success in reducing the frequency of headaches.
However, experts from the Drug and Therapeutics Bulletin, which reviews medical treatments in the UK, questioned the selection of patients in the trial, saying the diagnosis of chronic migraine was incorrect in some.
Botox leads to a worsening of headache symptoms in around one in 10 people, they said, with a similar number developing itching, rash, pain, stiffness and muscle spasms.
“These discrepancies and the limited evidence of benefit make it difficult for us to see a place for botulinum toxin A as treatment for chronic migraine,” the BBC quoted authors as saying. (ANI)
- Botox Injections Approved By FDA To Treat Migraines - Oct 18, 2010
- Now, treat chronic migraine with Botox - Aug 30, 2011
- Now, cure migraine with a botox jab - Jan 19, 2012
- Botox 'may help women with vaginal spasms that prevent them from having sex' - Feb 26, 2011
- Botox may help reduce 'eye-popping' migraine headaches - Feb 16, 2010
- FDA Approves Botox To Prevent Migraines - Oct 18, 2010
- Now, use Botox to zap that horrendous migraine - Aug 13, 2010
- FDA approves botox for migraines - Oct 18, 2010
- Re-engineered toxins can treat asthma, arthritis - Jan 02, 2012
- US teenagers get 12,000 botox jabs in a year - Aug 13, 2010
- Botox jabs can ease tennis elbow pain - Apr 27, 2010
- Cosmetic shots could ease migraine symptoms - Feb 16, 2010
- Spinal 'Botox' jab could relieve pain - Dec 26, 2010
- Beauty treatment gives relief to Parkinson's patients - Apr 23, 2010
- Weight loss surgery can help alleviate migraines - Mar 29, 2011
Tags: bbc, botox, botulinum toxin, chronic cases, chronic migraines, diagnosis, discrepancies, drug and therapeutics bulletin, headache symptoms, headaches, improvements, jab, london feb, medical treatments, migraine, muscle spasms, pain signals, preventative treatment, rash, stiffness