Botox ‘may help women with vaginal spasms that prevent them from having sex’February 26th, 2011 - 2:11 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Feb 26 (ANI): Botox treatments may help women who suffer from vaginal muscle spasms, says an expert.
MSNBC.com reported that Botulinum Toxin A, the active ingredient in drugs such as Botox and Dysport, could help treat severe cases of vaginismus, vaginal spasms that affect women’s ability to be sexually penetrated.
Dr. Peter Pacik, a New Hampshire surgeon, is conducting an FDA-approved clinical trial testing the use of Botox on female patients who experience painful burning sensations and vaginal muscle contractions that make having sex nearly impossible.
Pacik said that as many as 6 percent of women worldwide suffer from the muscle spasms caused by a reflex reaction to sex, reports the New York Daily News.
The condition has been linked to women who have experienced sexual abuse or have grown up thinking sex is immoral, he said.
Pacik said a shot of Botox at the entrance of the vagina works similarly to the way it does on the face, allowing muscles to relax.
Of the 78 women who have been treated by Pacik, all but one have been cured after a single session. (ANI)
- US teenagers get 12,000 botox jabs in a year - Aug 13, 2010
- Oral supplements enhance Botox injection's effects - Sep 02, 2010
- Botox may not be effective in treating migraines - Feb 10, 2011
- Re-engineered toxins can treat asthma, arthritis - Jan 02, 2012
- FDA Approves Botox To Prevent Migraines - Oct 18, 2010
- Malaysian women in their 20s now clamouring for Botox - Aug 22, 2010
- Now, use Botox to zap that horrendous migraine - Aug 13, 2010
- Oral sex putting men at risk for throat cancer - Oct 21, 2010
- Botox research shows 'smiling actually increases your happiness' - Jun 24, 2010
- Beauty treatment gives relief to Parkinson's patients - Apr 23, 2010
- Botox jabs 'cause muscles to waste away into fat' - Dec 04, 2010
- Beauty cream with bee stings in great demand - Dec 29, 2011
- Botox Injections Approved By FDA To Treat Migraines - Oct 18, 2010
- Vaginal cosmetic surgery in vogue in Italy - Aug 21, 2010
- Spider venom 'could be the new Viagra' - Mar 08, 2011
Tags: active ingredient, botox, botox treatments, botulinum toxin, burning sensations, clinical trial, dr peter, female patients, having sex, msnbc, muscle contractions, muscle spasms, muscles, new york daily news, reflex reaction, sex new, sexual abuse, vagina, vaginal muscle, york daily news