Botox jabs can help beat the bluesApril 1st, 2009 - 3:44 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 1 (ANI): By stopping the face from frowning, Botox jabs, which smooth out facial lines by partially freezing muscles, make patients feel happier, a new study suggests.
The treatment has been used by many celebrities including Queen of Pop.
Now, after studying 25 people, psychologists have found that Botox anti-wrinkle treatment can help beat the blues.
In the volunteer group, 12 had Botox injections to the forehead, while the rest had fillers, peals or cosmetic treatments.
All the participants completed a mood questionnaire at least two weeks later, reports The Telegraph.
Patients who received Botox treatment were found to be significantly less depressed, anxious and irritable than those who did not.
Study leader Dr Michael Lewis, from the University of Cardiff, said: “Both groups had some form of cosmetic treatment, and there was no difference in how effective they thought their treatment had been.
“So this result is most likely due to the effects of Botox specifically.”
Presenting the research at the British Psychological Society’s annual meeting in Brighton, Dr Lewis added: “This research may help the development of a new treatment for depressive illnesses.
“Unlike other treatments for depression, which have significant negative side effects, the main side effect of a Botox-based treatment would be a younger-looking face.
Dr Lewis explained that by blocking frowning, Botox prevents expressions of negative emotion, resulting in a happier mood.
“But as the cosmetic effect of Botox is temporary, so will be the emotional effect. As the effect of the Botox wears off, one’s mood is likely to return to normal levels,” Dr Lewis said. (ANI)
- Botox can make people feel happy - Jul 21, 2010
- Stopping frowning can change ability to read sad and angry sentences - Jul 20, 2010
- Say goodbye to wrinkles with new 'vampire filler'! - Oct 30, 2010
- Botox Injections Approved By FDA To Treat Migraines - Oct 18, 2010
- An 'explosion' in the number of boob jobs in run-up to Christmas - Dec 08, 2010
- Botox paralyzes your emotions, too - Jun 27, 2010
- Botox may help keep anger, sadness at bay - Feb 10, 2010
- Can blocking a frown keep bad feelings at bay? - Jan 30, 2010
- How companies make you buy cosmetics? (Lead) - Jul 22, 2011
- Looking attractive propels people to buy cosmetics - Jul 22, 2011
- Megan Fox rubbishes botox rumours - Jul 10, 2011
- Dysport shown to be safe, effective anti-wrinkle treatment - Aug 03, 2009
- Turn the clock around, gift your dad cosmetic treatment (June 17 is Father's Day) - Jun 15, 2012
- Blocking a frown may help keep bad feelings at bay - Jan 30, 2010
- Safer Botox replacement can help reduce frown lines between eyes - Aug 04, 2009
Tags: anti wrinkle treatment, beat the blues, botox injections, british psychological society, cosmetic effect, cosmetic treatment, cosmetic treatments, depressive illnesses, dr lewis, emotional effect, facial lines, jabs, michael lewis, negative emotion, peals, queen of pop, study leader, treatments for depression, university of cardiff, volunteer group