Bonfires, celebrations mark Lohri across north IndiaJanuary 14th, 2012 - 12:02 am ICT by IANS
Chandigarh/New Delhi, Jan 13 (IANS) Bonfires on streets, house compounds, campuses of schools, colleges and universities and even at offices — the festive mood of Lohri was felt across north India Friday.
From children in smaller towns of Punjab and Haryana singing the traditional “Sundriye Mundriye hoye, Dulha Bhatti vala hoye…” to DJ’s playing latest foot-tapping numbers at full blast on Panjab University campus in Chandigarh and elsewhere, the festivity of Lohri was spread all over.
The Lohri celebrations in educational institutions across Punjab, Haryana, Chandigarh and New Delhi started around noon while the actual celebrations were held by people at their homes and communities in various places in the evening.
“The weather today was just the right amount of cold and no rain. The bonfires were amazing and we enjoyed being with friends and good music. It was fun throwing the moongfali (groundnut) and other things in the bonfire,” Chandigarh resident Sheweta Aggarwal told IANS.
On the Panjab University campus in Chandigarh, over a dozen DJs were playing in the grounds outside various teaching departments with students and teachers enjoying the festivity with bonfires and dance.
“It was a real festive spirit on the university campus. Everyone seemed to be in a celebration mood. The DJs could be heard in all directions,” PU student Ashish said.
In New Delhi too, streets and homes saw their own Lohri celebrations.
In many residential colonies, people had set up and lit bonfires on the streets and bylanes.
Lohri was celebrated in neighbouring Himachal Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir, both states currently reeling under and intense cold wave and snowy conditions.
- Feasting times: A hearty Punjabi spread this Lohri (With Recipes) - Jan 12, 2012
- Desi sweets on B-Town's mind for Lohri - Jan 13, 2012
- With bonfires and bonhomie, Delhi set to celebrate Lohri - Jan 13, 2011
- Punjab, Haryana celebrate Holi - Mar 01, 2010
- Delhi celebrates Lohri with bonfires and drumbeats (Lead) - Jan 14, 2011
- Riot of colours as Holi celebrated with gaiety (Roundup) - Mar 08, 2012
- Bollywood wishes Happy Lohri - Jan 13, 2011
- Christmas celebrated in Punjab, Chandigarh - Dec 25, 2011
- Panjab varsity to hold first alumni meet Saturday - Feb 18, 2011
- Panjab University to host its pre-1970 alumni, including PM - Dec 03, 2010
- Panjab University holds first alumni meet - Feb 19, 2011
- Protesters picket Manmohan Singh's Chandigarh house (Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- Winter showers intensify cold in Punjab - Dec 31, 2010
- Panjab University teachers see red over campus showbiz - Jan 21, 2012
- Punjab, Haryana celebrate Baisakhi with fervour - Apr 15, 2011
Tags: aggarwal, ashish, bonfire, bonfires, chandigarh, cold wave, colleges and universities, educational institutions, festive mood, festive spirit, festivity, full blast, groundnut, haryana, jammu and kashmir, lohri, north india, panjab university, snowy conditions, weather today