Body of newborn girl foundMarch 27th, 2012 - 10:16 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, March 27 (IANS) The body of a newborn girl was found in a dustbin here Tuesday, bringing to the fore the plight of the girl child in a state that suffers from a skewed sex ratio.
Police found the body wrapped in a piece of cloth in Shashtri Nagar area
“We got a call from a resident. dogs were dragging it out from the bin. It seems the body was dumped at least three days ago,” a police official told IANS.
Rajasthan has been in the news due to increasing cases of female foeticide and infanticide.
Poverty, ignorance about family planning and high dowry have been reported as the possible causes for this crime.
According to Census 2011, Rajasthan has 883 girls in the age of 0-6 for every 1,000 boys. The child sex ratio in 2001 was 909.
Alarmed over the skewed sex ratio, the state government recently announced steps to curb pre-natal sex determination tests at ultrasound clinics.
The steps include increasing the number of health department inspection teams and equipping them with devices like hidden cameras and voice recorders.
The government has also announced Rs.1 lakh money to a person who complains about errant ultrasound clinics.
- Another newborn girl's body found in Jaipur - Mar 28, 2012
- Court asks Rajasthan to explain action against female child killing - Mar 30, 2012
- Rajasthan doctor booked for female foeticide - Nov 02, 2011
- Fourth foetus found in Jaipur - Mar 31, 2012
- Newborn girl found abandoned in Rajasthan - Jul 07, 2011
- Girl's foetus found in Rajasthan town - Apr 20, 2012
- Woman arrested for killing daughter - Jan 07, 2012
- Aamir Khan to meet Gehlot over female foeticide - May 09, 2012
- Post 'Satyamev Jayate' Aamir to meet Gehlot - May 07, 2012
- Two female foetuses recovered in Rajasthan - Nov 06, 2011
- Borther cries foul, woman unable to bear boy child dies - Oct 20, 2011
- Special police station to probe Rajasthan foeticide cases - Sep 17, 2012
- Sex ratio fall: Rajasthan steps up raids on clinics - May 28, 2011
- Rajasthan cracks down on sonography centres - May 10, 2012
- Infant girl left at ashram doorstep - May 09, 2012
Tags: 1 lakh, child sex, dowry, dustbin, family planning, female foeticide, girl child, health department, hidden cameras, least three days, newborn girl, piece of cloth, plight, police official, rajasthan, resident dogs, sex determination, sex ratio, ultrasound, voice recorders