Black gay men at higher HIV risk due to their perceptions of masculinityMay 3rd, 2011 - 3:35 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, May 3 (ANI): Young black men who have sex with men (MSM) get infected with HIV nearly five times more often than MSM from other races, even though their reported use of condoms is similar to males of other racial and ethnic backgrounds, warns a new study.
The study found that young black MSM — a group that includes openly gay and bisexual men, as well as those who have sex with men but do not identify themselves as gay or bisexual — select partners and judge these partners’ HIV status in a specific way.
These men show a clear preference for masculine men, while also equating masculinity with lower HIV risk. This dynamic, the researchers say, can help explain why young black MSM contract HIV more often than their counterparts from other races.
The results are based on interviews with 35 black men ages 18 to 24 who have sex with men.
The most notable findings include an overwhelming preference for masculine partners, accepting masculine partners as dominant in the sex act and leaving to them decisions about condom use, perceiving masculine men as low risk for HIV and feminine men as high risk.
The findings offer new insight into how black MSM judge risk based on perceptions of masculinity and can help inform public health campaigns to reduce new HIV infections in this disproportionately affected group. (ANI)
- HIV pill could lessen infection risk among healthy gays - Nov 26, 2010
- First ever pill to beat HIV under FDA consideration - May 10, 2012
- Online hookups don't always lead to unsafe sex - May 24, 2011
- Most women prefer men with feminine shaped faces: Study - Apr 25, 2011
- Black gay men 'at increased HIV risk' - Jun 30, 2009
- 'India has four lakh men who have sex with men' (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Men reach orgasm after vaginal intercourse while women with oral sex - Oct 04, 2010
- New York City Health Department survey shows only 23% of women use a condom during anal sex - Apr 21, 2010
- US AIDS cases stable at 50,000 per year - Aug 05, 2011
- India to avert 3 million HIV cases: World Bank - Nov 30, 2011
- Bollywood celebs slam Azad's comments on MSM - Jul 05, 2011
- Azad's comments on MSM shocking: Gay community - Jul 05, 2011
- STIs reach record levels with young people especially at risk - Aug 25, 2010
- Feminine looks in men more likely to be hit with women - Apr 25, 2011
- Campaigning for gay rights with Hillary Clinton - Jul 02, 2011
Tags: bisexual men, black gay men, black men, condom use, contract hiv, ethnic backgrounds, feminine men, high risk, hiv infections, hiv risk, hiv status, masculine men, masculinity, men ages, overwhelming preference, perceptions, public health campaigns, select partners, sex act, sex with men