Birdlike dino sat in yoga-like pose 200 million years agoMarch 5th, 2009 - 3:18 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, March 5 (ANI): Fossil handprints of a meat-eating birdlike dinosaur, that dates back to 200 million years, show that it plopped down on the edge of a lake and rested its arms, palms slightly facing inward, in an almost yoga-like pose.
The handprints of this crouching dinosaur, discovered in 2004 in St. George, Utah, are the first known prints made by a meat-eating dinosaurs front limbs.
We got lucky with this one (sitting) on a slope, which brought its hands closer to the ground, said study author Andrew Milner of the St. George Dinosaur Discovery Site at Johnson Farm.
The find has shaken up paleontologists understanding of how dinosaurs evolved into modern birds.
The imprints suggest all two-legged meat-eaters, or theropods, carried their arms in an inward-facing, birdlike posture during the early Jurassic period, much earlier than this trait was thought to have developed.
The find also boosts some paleontologists beliefs that theropods didnt ever carry their short arms palms-downas Tyrannosaurus rex is often depicted doing in movies and books.
In fact, the newfound dinosaur would have dislocated its shoulders if it kept its palms down, said Milner. (ANI)
- Fossils of bird-like dinosaurs discovered in Australia - May 18, 2012
- Chinese paleontologists discover large feathered dinosaur - Apr 06, 2012
- Jagged teeth lent cutting edge to T. Rex ferocity - Feb 29, 2012
- Fossil of new dinosaur species found in China - Oct 10, 2010
- Tyrannosaurus Rex Revealed To Be Cannibals - Oct 18, 2010
- Dinosaurs originated from South America: Reports - Dec 11, 2009
- New 230mn-yr-old predator 'dawn runner' discovered in South America - Jan 14, 2011
- T.rex was 'more hyena than lion' - Feb 23, 2011
- Scientists identify oldest T. rex relative - Nov 04, 2009
- New fossils reveal that dinosaurs originated from South America - Dec 13, 2009
- T-Rex's gigantic cousin located in China - Apr 01, 2011
- How Jurassic predators evolved into mega meat-eaters - Oct 02, 2010
- T.Rex was a ruthless 'baby killer' - Aug 05, 2009
- T Rex had the best nose of all meat-eating dinos - Oct 29, 2008
- For 80mn years, Tyrannosaurs were the size of humans - Sep 17, 2010
Tags: andrew milner, birdlike dinosaur, birds, dino, dinosaur discovery, dinosaurs, handprints, imprints, jurassic period, meat eaters, million years, palms, posture, prints, shoulders, slope, st george utah, study author, tyrannosaurus rex, yoga