Bird flu scare emerges again in parts of West BengalMarch 28th, 2008 - 10:24 am ICT by admin
Jalpaiguri/ Malda (WB), Mar 28 (ANI): Authorities in West Bengal have heightened measures after a fresh outbreak of bird flu was reported from Jalpaiguri district, as culling operations continued elsewhere in the state.
“We have received reports of fresh outbreak of the disease in the area. We have organized the meeting of the district officials of the area to do the needful,” said Bonamali Roy, a district official in Jalpaiguri.
Hundreds of birds were found dead in the district earlier this month after which samples were sent to a laboratory in Bhopal. The reports have now come positive.
Meanwhile, culling operations continued in Malda district where fresh outbreak of bird flu was detected with the death of about 1000 chickens in the past few days.
Veterinary staff were now killing not only the poultry at the affected farm in Malda, but also about 44,000 chickens and ducks in nearby areas to ensure the virus didn’t spread.
According to officials, poultry sales in West Bengal have fallen by about 70 per cent since the avian flu first hit the state in January, but it has had limited impact elsewhere in the country.
In January, the H5N1 virus affected 13 of the state’s 19 districts but in the following weeks some 3.4 million birds were culled by the authorities who claimed to have contained what the World Health Organization described as the worst outbreak of bird flu in India. (ANI)
- Tripura on fresh bird flu alert, bans poultry imports - Nov 19, 2011
- Culling of birds starts in Bengal - Sep 20, 2011
- Experts to study cause of bird flu outbreak - Mar 17, 2012
- India confirms bird flu in Bengal, PM concerned - Sep 20, 2011
- Over 6,200 poultry culled after fresh flu in Tripura - Feb 02, 2012
- Tripura begins culling to contain bird flu - Jan 27, 2012
- Indian states bordering Bangladesh vulnerable to bird flu - Mar 23, 2011
- Indian states bordering Bangladesh vulnerable to bird flu (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011
- Tripura on bird flu alert; central teams arrive - Feb 19, 2011
- Chicken culling starts, as bird flu strikes Tripura - Mar 08, 2011
- Mexico to vaccinate 1 mn chickens against bird flu - Jul 11, 2012
- Bird flu case surfaces in Bhubaneswar - Feb 04, 2012
- Over 44,000 birds culled in bird-flu hit Murshidabad - Jan 21, 2010
- Tripura, Mizoram on bird flu alert - Feb 25, 2011
- Fresh cases of bird flu in Tripura - Mar 06, 2011
Tags: avian flu, bird flu, birds, chickens, district officials, ducks, few days, flu, h5n1 virus, jalpaiguri, malda, nearby areas, needful, outbreak, poultry sales, scare, veterinary staff, wb, west bengal, world health organization