Bird flu confirmed in new West Bengal townMarch 19th, 2008 - 12:42 pm ICT by admin
Kolkata, March 19 (IANS) A second West Bengal district is in the grip of bird flu since the deadly H5N1 virus resurfaced early March, almost a month after the government claimed it had contained the virus, officials said Wednesday. “Bird flu has been confirmed in Malda district’s English Bazaar town. We are mobilising our people to begin culling as soon as possible,” West Bengal Animal Resource Development (ARD) Minister Anirsur Rahman told IANS.
About 200 chickens have died at a state-run poultry farm in the town since March 13.
About 28,000 poultry birds have been culled in Malda’s adjoining Murshidabad district last week.
In February, West Bengal authorities had hoped India’s worst bird flu crisis that broke out in the state was over. Around four million poultry birds were culled since the announcement of the outbreak Jan 15.
The ban on sale and consumption of poultry products was also lifted from 13 of West Bengal’s 19 districts where the bird flu had raged.
The state government had then allayed fears of human infection, after the blood samples of the 19 people sent for testing were found negative.
- Experts to study cause of bird flu outbreak - Mar 17, 2012
- Culling of birds starts in Bengal - Sep 20, 2011
- 3,000 poultry culled over bird flu scare - Dec 27, 2011
- Tripura on fresh bird flu alert, bans poultry imports - Nov 19, 2011
- Indian states bordering Bangladesh vulnerable to bird flu - Mar 23, 2011
- Indian states bordering Bangladesh vulnerable to bird flu (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011
- India confirms bird flu in Bengal, PM concerned - Sep 20, 2011
- Bird flu: Culling of birds planned in Bhubaneswar (Lead) - Feb 04, 2012
- Make poultry farming in northeast more scientific: Aviation flu experts - Apr 22, 2012
- Bird flu: 7,000 fowls culled in Bhubaneswar - Feb 05, 2012
- Bird flu case surfaces in Bhubaneswar - Feb 04, 2012
- Chicken culling starts, as bird flu strikes Tripura - Mar 08, 2011
- Over 44,000 birds culled in bird-flu hit Murshidabad - Jan 21, 2010
- Bird flu resurfaces in Tripura - Jan 25, 2012
- 17,000 poultry culled in Bangladesh - Apr 14, 2011
Tags: animal resource, ard, bazaar, bird flu, blood samples, chickens, consumption, fears, flu, flu crisis, h5n1 virus, kolkata, malda district, march 19, outbreak, poultry farm, poultry products, resource development, state government, west bengal