‘Bionic eye’ to help the blind ’see’December 21st, 2010 - 3:30 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Dec 21 (ANI): Blind people may soon be able to regain their sight - with help of a ‘bionic eye’.
The recruitment process has begun for the first UK trial of the ‘bionic eye, which can restore sight to blind people.
The microchip implant has already been tested in Germany, where it allowed patients to read letters and recognise objects.
Surgeons at King’s College Hospital, London, hope to select six patients for the trial, due to get under way in March, reports the Scotsman.
A German company made device, fits under the retina and works like a digital film camera. A 3mm sq array of 1,500 light sensors sends pulsed electrical signals to adjoining nerve cells, which relay the messages to the brain.
The implant is designed to help patients with retinitis pigmentosa, an inherited disorder, which gradually destroys the retina.
Previously, it was tested in Germany on three blind patients. Within days of the surgery, the two men and one woman could things on the table, walk around a room with confidence, tell the time from a clock, and distinguish between subtle shades of grey.
The results were published last month in the journal Proceedings of the Royal Society B.
Tim Jackson, who will head the King’s College team, said: “We are delighted to be involved in testing this pioneering technology. The results demonstrated by the German team are genuinely impressive, and they represent an important step towards artificial vision that could greatly enhance the quality of life for people with an incurable, blinding disease.”
- Astonishing bionic enables blind to see - Nov 22, 2011
- Bionic eye can restore lost vision - Nov 03, 2010
- Bionic eye to help the blind 'see' - Nov 27, 2010
- Eye operation helps blind Briton to see - May 04, 2012
- Camera chip offers hope to people with blindness-linked condition - Oct 19, 2010
- Bionic implants melding man and machine - Nov 08, 2010
- Compound likely to regenerate vision in humans - Jul 26, 2012
- Bionic 'eye' restores partial vision in woman - Oct 22, 2009
- Scientists unveil bionic eye for future implantation - Apr 12, 2010
- Electronic implants to give sight back to blind - Nov 03, 2010
- Retinal Microchip Restores Some Sight in Blind Patients - Nov 06, 2010
- Bionic eye implant ready for human trials - Feb 09, 2012
- Oz's first bionic eye a step closer to reality - Apr 01, 2011
- Bionic eye restores partial vision in US woman - Oct 22, 2009
- Stem cell therapy may help restore sight in retinitis pigmentosa sufferers - Feb 25, 2010
Tags: artificial vision, blind patients, electrical signals, film camera, german company, german team, hospital london, journal proceedings, light sensors, microchip implant, nerve cells, pioneering technology, proceedings of the royal society, proceedings of the royal society b, recognise objects, retinitis pigmentosa, s college, shades of grey, subtle shades, tim jackson