Bill Gates to launch major polio initiative in India WednesdayNovember 3rd, 2008 - 6:11 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 3 (IANS) Microsoft founder Bill Gates will launch a major initiative for India’s public healthcare here Wednesday with a special focus on polio eradication, said officials at his philanthropic foundation.Gates will launch the initiative under the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation - founded by him and his wife - which believes that while polio cannot be cured at present, it can be prevented by immunising children at the right age.
“As of October 2008, the Gates Foundation has committed approximately $9.9 billion in grants for global health, and many of these grants support work in India,” the foundation said in a background note ahead of Gates’ visit.
For polio alone, the foundation has so far committed more than $400 million worldwide to support polio eradication efforts and India, among the four countries where the disease is still endemic, is among its recipients.
The other initiatives of the foundation include “Avahan”, where $258 million has so far been committed in the first phase of the project towards India’s AIDS-control initiatives.
This apart, $93 million has been set aside for the country’s immunisation programme and $66 million for introducing hepatitis B vaccine in 15 cities and 33 districts.
Based in Seattle, the foundation is led by chief executive Jeff Raikes. William H. Gates Sr. and Bill and Melinda Gates are its co-chairs, while long-term associate Warren Buffett is a trustee and another major contributor.
- Gates praises India for containing polio - May 31, 2012
- Azad meets Bill, Melinda Gates - Mar 22, 2011
- Hyderabad foundation gets $100,000 grant for polio vaccine - May 10, 2012
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to focus on drugs, vaccine research - Mar 24, 2011
- Bill Gates to visit India this week - Mar 21, 2011
- Bill, Melinda Gates meet Health Minister Azad, discuss issues relating to polio vaccination - Mar 22, 2011
- Bill Gates visiting India on polio eradication mission (Lead) - Nov 03, 2008
- Fresh funding to eradicate polio - Oct 29, 2011
- Gates Foundation calls for investments for vaccines - May 17, 2011
- A year of no polio: India triumphs, but risks remains - Jan 11, 2012
- Polio may be eradicated from India in two-three years: Gates - Mar 24, 2011
- A year of no polio: India triumphs, but risks remains (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Bill Gates discusses polio, other health related issues in Pakistan with Zardari - Apr 07, 2011
- Bill Gates, Melinda visit Bihar villages (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011
- Gates, Buffet in Indian capital with their 'Giving Pledge' - Mar 24, 2011
Tags: bill and melinda gates, bill and melinda gates foundation, eradication efforts, founder bill gates, hepatitis b vaccine, jeff raikes, melinda gates foundation, polio eradication, warren buffett, william h gates