Bikram yoga ‘doesn’t really help you lose weight’November 6th, 2010 - 1:34 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Nov 6 (ANI): Experts have said that Bikram yoga, which is believed to help weight loss, doesn’t really work.
Star athletes, actors and everyday New Yorkers have tested the mettle of Bikram Yoga, which makes one sweat but tremendously improves mental and physical strength as well.
Many Madonna, Jennifer Aniston and now Lady Gaga, who practice the hot yoga, do it because they believe they are burning up to a thousand calories an hour.
However, fitness expert Marcia Heaner believes this is highly unlikely.
“The more dehydrated you are, the higher your heart rate goes. When you sit in a sauna your heart rate rises high, too, but it’s not because you’re burning more fat or calories. It’s because your heart is working extra hard trying to cool you off,” the New York Daily News quoted her as telling MSNBC.
“In fact, for some people, exercising in this type of environment isn’t safe. And it certainly isn’t a great way to lose weight,” Heaner added.
Tamara Kuittinen of Lenox Hill Hospital believes that it provides intense workout but one has to be very careful.
“The room is very warm and you’re hot because you’re exercising, so there is more fluid loss. You are getting an intense workout but you really need to be careful,” she said.
True exercise bulimics have an eating disorder and use exercise to the extreme to purge themselves of calories, Kuittinen explains.
“But Bikram yoga is a healthy form of exercise. Still, remember that even a healthy form of exercise can be corrupted and used in an unhealthy way,” Kuittinen concluded. (ANI)
- Boost your energy with plyometric exercise - Oct 15, 2010
- Hot Yoga reverses Sudhir Mishra's aging process - Mar 30, 2012
- Bursts of exercise help keep weight off during the holidays - Dec 05, 2010
- Sweat, stretch, smile with Bikram Yoga (With Image) - Oct 20, 2010
- Study: Exercise has minor effect on weight loss - Sep 21, 2010
- Now, a 'sports cord' that burns 400 calories in just 20 minutes! - Jan 11, 2011
- A woman's guide to age-proofing health - Jan 19, 2011
- Good to feel muscles burn after exercise - May 04, 2011
- The most common myths about exercise - Nov 21, 2010
- Obese Contestant Of Reality Show Hospitalized Due To Dehydration - Nov 19, 2010
- 'Fasting detoxifies the body, but don't overdo' - Aug 07, 2012
- Diet and exercise 'more effective for weight loss when combined' - Apr 15, 2011
- Aniston avoids junk food to stay slim - Jun 29, 2011
- A creative approach to healthy heart and fitness - Jan 16, 2010
- Cut your flab 'while at office, outside and even when asleep' - Apr 24, 2011
Tags: actors, calories, eating disorder, heart rate, hot yoga, intense workout, jennifer aniston, lady gaga, lenox hill hospital, madonna, mettle, msnbc, new york daily news, physical strength, sauna, star athletes, sweat, tamara, weight loss, york daily news