Bihar destitute woman is missingJuly 17th, 2012 - 4:05 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, July 17 (IANS) Several voluntary groups in India and abroad have come forward to support a destitute woman in Bihar who sold her four month old son for Rs.62 to a Nepalese couple. But she is now is missing.
Shannu Khatun, in her mid-30s, made the “sale” at the Forbesganj railway station, near the India-Nepal border in Araria district, about 350 km from here. The story has triggered a storm in Bihar.
Araria Superintendent of Police Shivdeep W. Lande said several organisations from Canada, Australia and India have contacted him and also offered to adopt her other three children.
“Thanks to the media, I have got dozens of calls from these organisations to help and support her,” he said. He did not name the groups.
But Khatun and her children have gone missing since the story hit the newspapers. Lande said police were looking for them.
- Woman who sold child found - still starving - Jul 19, 2012
- Poor woman in Bihar sells child for Rs.62, cops begin probe - Jul 15, 2012
- Bihar woman missing after selling child for Rs.62 - Jul 16, 2012
- 10 missing girl students found pushed into flesh trade - Aug 04, 2012
- Industrialist faces arrest for attack on journalist - Mar 03, 2012
- Police rescue 25 minor girls from Bihar fair - Feb 14, 2012
- BJP legislator accused of threatening official - Feb 19, 2012
- Suspected Pakistani spy held in Bihar - Aug 02, 2011
- Hunt for NGO directors after tubectomies on 53 women - Jan 10, 2012
- Probe begins into Bihar police firing deaths - Jun 04, 2011
- Opposition attacks Nitish over police firing deaths - Jun 06, 2011
- Protest against Bihar police firing - Jun 13, 2011
- Opposition blames Nitish for police firing deaths (Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- Bihar Deputy CM in trouble over police firing - Jun 10, 2011
- Judicial panel to probe Bihar firing - Jun 23, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,