Bharat Biotech sells over 150 mn Hepatitis B vaccinesOctober 30th, 2008 - 1:59 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Oct 30 (IANS) Bharat Biotech International Limited Thursday announced that it has crossed production and delivery of more than 150 million doses of REVAC-B+TM, a recombinant Hepatitis B vaccine, since its launch in October 1998.The biotechnology company specialises in product-oriented research, development and manufacturing of vaccines and bio-therapeutics.
REVAC-B+TM has been marketed and sold in more than 30 countries worldwide with manufacturing and quality standards on par with USFDA, EMEA and WHO guidelines. The vaccine has established an excellent safety and efficacy profile since its launch 10 years ago, said a company statement here.
“The success of REVAC-B+TM bears testimony to our solid emphasis on R&D to develop vaccines that carry excellent safety and efficacy profiles. The next generation REVAC-Bmcf (thiomersol and cesium chloride free) recombinant Hepatitis-B vaccine manufactured by us are cost-effective and address the safety concerns expressed by parents and members of the medical profession,” said Krishna Ella, Chairman and Managing Director of Bharat Biotech.
REVAC-Bmcf vaccine contains the same components utilized in previous Hepatitis-B vaccine, but now it is supplied preservative-free in a single-dose vial.
The preservative thiomersal which contains mercury is used in the production process for many vaccines. There are trace amounts of thiomersol left over from the production process that cannot be removed, but these amounts are so small that regulatory agencies consider the vaccine to be preservative-free.
The Immunization Safety Review Committee of the National Academy of Sciences Institute of Medicine, USA, however, recommends for a phase-out of thiomersol as a preservative in vaccines.
- Bharat Biotech vaccine doses touch one-billion mark - Feb 03, 2010
- India's Bharat Biotech to sell $1 diarrhoea vaccine - Jun 06, 2011
- Bharat Biotech begins phase III trials of clot-busting drug - Feb 04, 2011
- Cuba to start clinical trials of pneumonia vaccine - May 04, 2012
- Bharat Biotech's rabies vaccine to touch 20 million doses - Oct 27, 2009
- Cuba to test new AIDS vaccine - Mar 07, 2012
- Hepatitis awareness programme launched for Mumbai slums - Jul 28, 2012
- Ensure Hepatitis-B vaccine in hospitals, Uttar Pradesh told (Lead) - Apr 16, 2011
- Agartala kicks off mission to become Hepatitis free - Apr 15, 2012
- HLL Lifecare floats subsidiary for vaccine complex - Apr 30, 2012
- Over 250 companies to participate in BioAsia 2012 - Feb 07, 2012
- Cuba showcases cancer vaccines - Mar 06, 2012
- Judge's complaint on Hepatitis-B to be heard as PIL - Apr 15, 2011
- Hepatitis could kill 5 mn in Southeast Asia: WHO - Jul 24, 2012
- Edible vaccine for malaria on way - Dec 31, 2010