Beijing Olympics torch creator reveals its intricate secretsAugust 15th, 2008 - 6:37 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, Aug 15 (ANI): The Beijing flame seemed extinguished for the first three seconds after being lighted because it was burning inside and was not visible to the audience, explained the chief torch designer Huang Qijun.
He said that the torch was different from others in terms of size and number of holes to let air come in.
At the opening ceremony, it took a few seconds for Li to make the right pose. That’’s why the flame seemed to go out. The flame was not put out — it was just burning inside the torch and wasn”t visible to the audience, Xinhua quoted Qijun as saying.
It was designed to allow the flame to be seen when the bearer held up the torch at a 30-degree angle. The last torch has more and bigger vent holes than the others so enough air will flow through, Huang said, and added that each vent hole was 1.5 mm in diameter, compared to 1.2 mm on the standard torch, and the last torch had 600 holes compared with the standard 430.
Describing its novel features of the torch, he said a special grip helped the bearer to hold on to the torch during his spacewalk-like flight at a height of 50 meters. And, an extra aluminium insulation plate inside the torch protected his hand from the heat, reducing the temperature on the surface of the torch to about 40 degrees Celsius, but adding two to three grams in weight.
To keep the lighting plan secret, I was informed about it on July 24. We had only 10 days to develop the torch, which was tested on Aug. 5. Then we only made three of them, Huang said.
According to the IOC rules, the mould that produced about 26,000 Beijing Olympics torches would be destroyed after the Games, he added. (ANI)
- Olympic flame moved and later re-lit - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympic flame lit in Greece (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- With Olympic cauldron lit, torchmaker's job was done - Aug 09, 2008
- Beware: Overheated laptop batteries a fire hazard - Nov 09, 2011
- Olympic torch maker finally relaxes after intense exhaustion and excitement - Aug 09, 2008
- Olympic torch goes 'green' - Feb 12, 2010
- Rupert Grint carries the Olympic torch - Jul 26, 2012
- Paralympic torch and relay route unveiled - Mar 01, 2012
- Olympic cauldron extinguished for move - Jul 30, 2012
- Russia plans to send Olympic torch into space - Jul 08, 2011
- BMW 'burns' logo on viewers' eyes to 'see' ad even when they're shut! - Dec 21, 2010
- Flame for Innsbruck 2012 Youth Olympics lit in Athens - Dec 18, 2011
- 2012 Olympic torch lit in Ancient Olympia - May 10, 2012
- London 2012 organizers confirm route for Olympic Flame - Mar 19, 2012
- Fog, icy winds make Delhiites shiver - Jan 17, 2012
Tags: 40 degrees celsius, aluminium, audience, beijing olympics, degree angle, diameter, flame, insulation, ioc rules, lighting plan, novel features, olympics, olympics torch, opening ceremony, pose, spacewalk, torches, vent hole, vent holes, xinhua