Be good, do good to live long lifeSeptember 9th, 2011 - 9:18 am ICT by IANS
London, Sep 9 (IANS) Our good deeds can help us live longer, but for that to happen our acts should be driven by a sense of helping others than doing something for personal satisfaction, a study has found.
The US study followed a random group of 10,317 college students since their graduation in 1957.
In 2004, they were asked about the voluntary work they had done in the past 10 years and how regularly. Four years later, 4.3 percent of the non-volunteers had died as had four percent of volunteers with self-oriented motives, Daily Express reported.
But only 1.6 percent of those, whose motivations were more focused on others, were dead.
According to Andrea Fuhrel-Forbis, co-author of the study published in the journal Health Psychology,it is reasonable for people to volunteer in part because of benefits to the self.
“However, our research implies that, ironically, should these benefits to the self become the main motive for volunteering, they may not see those benefits.”
- Sex motivated by love and commitment most satisfying, finds study - Nov 11, 2010
- Chinese college launches morality bank - Mar 08, 2012
- Testosterone drives ego, trips cooperation - Feb 03, 2012
- Six different types of smiles identified - Oct 22, 2010
- Genes blamed for gay tendencies - Jul 08, 2011
- Misplaced motivation could bring on failures - Mar 15, 2012
- US Boy Scout, Girl Scout manuals give stereotypical ideas about gender - Apr 09, 2011
- Focus on team to perform better - Oct 21, 2011
- Motivation crucial for successful weight loss - Apr 27, 2010
- Being Mr. Nice can help you boost your willpower - Apr 20, 2010
- Self-improvement promotes teamwork, social skills - Feb 12, 2012
- Treat yourself as well as you treat friends, family to be happier in life - Mar 01, 2011
- Rifaximin may help ease irritable bowel syndrome symptoms - Jan 06, 2011
- Self-control is contagious - Jan 14, 2010
- Obese girls show greater poise when happy with their shape - Apr 30, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,