Bargain clifftop home turns proverbial house of cardsFebruary 24th, 2010 - 1:44 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 24 (IANS) A woman thought that she was getting a bargain when she paid just 150,000 pounds for a one million pound clifftop home in Devon. Just days later, however, the property turned worthless when the garden collapsed into the sea leaving the house perched just 50 ft from the edge of a 300 ft drop.
Sue Diamond bought Ridgemont House in Torquay, Devon, for a rock-bottom price at an auction last week, Daily Express reported.
The house had six bedrooms and excellent views of Oddicombe Beach.
But there was a catch.
The brochure pointed out that the house might be beyond “economical repair” due to structural damage but said the chance to build a new property could present a “unique opportunity”.
Diamond paid 154,500 pounds for the house. Days later, her house was left in a precarious position.
“The problem is now there’s a chunk of land gone. She might find it very hard to get planning permission to build a home there because you certainly couldn’t put foundations down,” a spokesman for auctioneers Fox & Sons of Southampton was quoted as saying.
- Woman microwaves kitten, hauled before court - Jul 09, 2011
- Parrot 'pushes woman to the edge' with faulty fire alarm sound - Feb 11, 2011
- Duchess' missing jewellery worth $156,000 sold for peanuts - Jun 18, 2012
- Abbey Clancy and Peter Crouch to wed on June 31 - Apr 11, 2011
- Man opts for mummification for TV documentary - Oct 19, 2011
- Beckham to buy Taylor's jewellery for Victoria - Sep 20, 2011
- Tiger Woods 'porn star sex video delayed' - Oct 18, 2010
- Rare pink diamond found in WA - Feb 23, 2012
- British call centre to return home from costly Mumbai - Jul 04, 2011
- Harris puts engagement ring on auction - Oct 01, 2011
- House clearer awarded 2mn pound tapestries! - Jun 07, 2011
- Rare pink diamond sold for 29 million pounds - Nov 17, 2010
- Comic Stan Laurel's childhood home up for grabs - Mar 21, 2011
- Cruise worker Sean Grahame recognized as job seeker - Nov 28, 2010
- Art, accessory auctions gather pace in India - Aug 18, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,