Bank account of India’s first president still activeJuly 4th, 2012 - 2:15 pm ICT by IANS
Patna July 4 (IANS) A public sector bank in the Bihar capital has kept active for nearly 50 years a savings account of India’s first president Rajendra Prasad, an official said Wednesday.
Prasad opened his account in Punjab National Bank’s Exhibition Road branch Oct 24, 1962, a few months before he passed away, said the official.
“The bank has given Rajendra Prasad’s savings account prime customer status. It is a matter of pride for us,” the bank’s chief manager S.L. Gupta told IANS.
The balance including interest in account stood at Rs.1,813, Gupta said, adding that till date, no one had come forward to withdraw the money.
“Every six months, an interest is deposited into the account,” he said.
The branch has also put on public display of Prasad’s account number — 0380000100030687 — below his photograph.
Prasad was born Dec 3, 1884, in Zeradei in Bihar’s Siwan district and died Feb 28, 1963, in Patna. He was India’s first president from 1952 to 1962.
- Rs.1,813 in Rajendra Prasad's bank account (Lead) - Jul 04, 2012
- Rajendra Prasad's memorial to be a tourist spot - Dec 05, 2010
- This savings account is a national heritage - Dec 04, 2008
- Coins in memory of Rajendra Prasad released - Feb 28, 2010
- Bihar begins move to renovate Rajendra Prasad's memorial - Jan 11, 2010
- Theft of Rajendra Prasad's watch being probed - Jan 03, 2012
- Bihar moots Rajghat-style makeover for neglected Prasad memorial - Oct 23, 2009
- Rajendra Prasad memorial ready for makeover - Feb 20, 2010
- Yes Bank to focus on retail segment for growth - Apr 21, 2012
- President to launch Bihar agriculture map - Jul 26, 2012
- Three get life term for former JNU student leader's murder - Mar 23, 2012
- Bihar plans Rajendra Prasad's 125th birth anniversary - Jul 14, 2008
- RBI seeks feedback on savings deposit rate deregulation - Apr 28, 2011
- Airtel, Axis Bank join hands for mobile banking - May 16, 2012
- Interest rates on provident fund, post office savings hiked - Nov 11, 2011
Tags: chief manager, customer status, exhibition road, first president, gupta, India, july 4, matter of pride, money, photograph, prime customer, public sector bank, punjab national bank, rajendra prasad, rs 1, savings account, siwan, six months