Ban cell phone use while driving: US safety panelDecember 14th, 2011 - 2:54 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Dec 14 (IANS/EFE) The US transportation safety board has unanimously recommended that people be banned from using cell phones and other electronic gadgets while driving, save in an emergency.
The National Transportation Safety Board’s recommendation would apply to all types of electronic devices, including hands-free phones, and it goes far beyond the existing restrictions in many of the 50 states.
Although the recommendations of the NTSB are non-binding, they certainly carry a great deal of weight and lawmakers normally observe them. In this case, it would be up to the states to implement the necessary measures.
The recommendation by the agency is the result of a 2010 pileup near Gray Summit, Missouri. The 19-year-old driver blamed for the accident sent or received 11 text messages in the 11 minutes before causing the crash.
His pickup truck, which was travelling at almost 90 kph, collided with a tractor-trailer that had slowed down due to highway repair work. Subsequently, a school bus plowed into the pickup truck and a second bus then crashed into the first one.
The driver of the pickup truck and a 15-year-old student died, and 38 people were injured.
- 89 illegal migrants found in truck - Mar 31, 2011
- Snowstorm storms upper Midwest - Feb 25, 2012
- 10 killed, 18 injured in Florida highway pileups - Jan 30, 2012
- 14 die in New York tour bus accident - Mar 13, 2011
- Two People Killed, Dozens Injured In Missouri School Bus Crash - Aug 06, 2010
- Eight die as truck ploughs into Brazil procession - Dec 10, 2011
- Mexican cartels moving drugs in armoured vehicles - Jan 18, 2012
- Argentine government takes over train operator after crash - Feb 29, 2012
- 15 die in Peru bus accident - Sep 14, 2012
- Five Indian techies die in car accident in US - Aug 11, 2012
- Five Indian techies from Hyderabad die in US car crash (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- At least 11 dead in Kentucky I-65 crash - Mar 26, 2010
- Small plane crashes after take-off in South Dakota, killing 4 - Dec 10, 2011
- Australia to call blanket ban on all mobile phone in vehicles - Feb 07, 2011
- 25 die in Brazil accident - Mar 06, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,