Baby born with two heads in BrazilDecember 21st, 2011 - 11:29 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 21 (IANS) A Brazilian woman has given birth to a baby with two heads.
Maria de Nazare, gave birth by caesarean at a hospital in Anajas, in Brazil’s northern Para state, with her newborn weighing 9.9 pounds, Daily Mail reports.
And in a tribute to the religious celebrations at Christmas, she has decided to call the pair Emanoel and Jesus.
Following the birth of her baby, mother Maria, 25, admitted that she had been told she was set to welcome twins, according to the newspaper Wednesday.
But following tests, doctors revealed that the baby has two brains and two spines but shares one heart, lungs, liver and pelvis.
The hospital’s director, Claudionor Assis de Vasconcelos, told Brazil’s O Povo newspaper that the woman decided to travel to the hospital because she was feeling strong abdominal pains.
The 25-year-old mother, who lives in a rural area of the state, had no ultra-sound scans during her pregnancy and only found out about the abnormality minutes before the baby was born at 1 a.m. Monday morning.
Vasconcelos said: “Despite all the problems we have as a small interior hospital we managed to save both mother and baby, which was our aim. And for us it was a great surprise to find out that the child was in really good health.”
Neila Dahas, director of the Santa Casa hospital said: “If both their brains are functioning, how are we going to choose which head to remove?
“We are not considering the possibility of surgery. What we’ve got to think about at this moment is to maintain the children in good condition and see how they will develop.”
At no point did the mother, who has three other children, appear distraught that her son has two heads, the Mail said quoting Vasconcelos.
“The mother fed both mouths and the baby stayed with her in her room the whole time. Her desire was to take her baby straight home.”
Remarkably, this is the second time a two-headed baby has been born in Brazil this year. Sueli Ferreira, 27, gave birth to a two-headed baby in Paraiba State, but it died a few hours later because of lack of oxygen to one of the child’s heads.
- Baby with two heads born in Brazil - Dec 22, 2011
- In Brazil, baby's head accidentally torn off during delivery - May 20, 2012
- Baby Falak undergoes brain surgery, still critical (Second Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Another surgery conducted on Falak - Feb 20, 2012
- Indian surgeons save African baby with rare defect - Apr 26, 2011
- Baby Falak critical, may undergo another brain surgery (Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Baby Falak critical, may undergo another brain surgery - Jan 30, 2012
- Mexican Drug lord's wife gives birth to twin babies - Sep 27, 2011
- After 14 miscarriages, mum finally gives birth to a healthy baby - Mar 07, 2012
- Baby Boy Born in Emirates Airplane Toilet to Be Named Ek - Aug 30, 2012
- Woman gives birth to girl on Metro train - Jul 22, 2012
- Baby Falak critical, next 48 hours till Thursday crucial (Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- Baby Falak critical, police claim leads to finding parents (Roundup) - Jan 30, 2012
- Battered baby critical, woman claims to be relative (Second Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Blackburn's Indian owners left red-faced over Ronaldinho Twitter claim - Jan 03, 2011
Tags: abdominal pains, baby born with two heads, baby mother, baby with two heads, brazilian woman, daily mail, mail reports, maria de nazare, mother and baby, mother maria, o povo, old mother, pelvis, religious celebrations, rural area, santa casa, spines, two brains, two headed baby, vasconcelos