Austrian to circumnavigate world in small planeMay 12th, 2012 - 12:13 pm ICT by IANS
Vienna, May 12 (IANS) In a daredevil effort with a single-engine small aircraft, a 44-year-old Austrian recreational pilot has set off on a 48,000-km-long trip to circumnavigate the world.
Helmuth Lehner, a father of three from Voecklabruck in northern Austria, left Friday from the Blue Danube Airport in Linz in an Aerospoolin WT-9 Dynamic plane, Xinhua reported citing the APA news agency.
He plans to be back in mid-August.
The plane was originally an ultralight aircraft, but has been modified with extra instruments and an extra fuel tank that allows up to 19 hours of flight time.
This will aid Lehner over the longest single leg of the flight, a 3,700-km trip from Hawaii to San Francisco. The entire trip will be 48,000 km long.
Lehner was a friend of Hans Gutmann, the first Austrian to circumnavigate the globe in a self-built aircraft in 1996. He died in a plane crash in Italy in 2011.
Lehner plans to dedicate the trip to Gutmann, and will also collect money for families whose fathers died in plane crashes or other accidents.
When asked what his wife and three children thought of his plans, Lehner said: “They’ll be happy when I’m back.”
- Boeing Dreamliner to skip Mumbai leg of India visit - Jul 14, 2011
- Plane crash kills four in Russia - Apr 07, 2012
- Three die as planes collide in Austria - Aug 29, 2011
- Fighter jet crashes in Pakistan - May 11, 2012
- Plane with 127 on board crashes in Pakistan, no survivors (Night Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Russia grounds eight planes after deadly crash - Sep 10, 2011
- 44 die in Russia plane crash (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- 31 die, 12 survive in Russian plane crash (Second Lead) - Apr 02, 2012
- Su-30 fighter crashes in Russia, crew safe - Feb 28, 2012
- Crashed Sukhoi was replacement aircraft - May 16, 2012
- Poor quality fuel cause of Russian plane crash? - Sep 08, 2011
- 10 die in Russian plane crash - Sep 12, 2012
- Pakistani plane with 127 on board crashes, no survivors (Third Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- MiG-21 crashes in Punjab, pilot safe - Sep 06, 2011
- Two killed in Pakistani Army trainer plane crash (Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
Tags: accidents, blue danube airport, daredevil, fuel tank, globe, gutmann, helmuth, lehner, linz, long trip, news agency, plane crash, plane crashes, recreational pilot, san francisco, small aircraft, ultralight aircraft, vienna, wt 9, xinhua