Australians strip for charityDecember 5th, 2010 - 3:02 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Dec 5 (IANS) Nearly 300 Australians Sunday stripped down to their underwear and paraded through Sydney in an attempt to break a world record and raise money for a charity.
The group of 278 men and women walked from Sydney’s Martin Place to the Opera House to raise 70,000 Australian dollars ($90,3146) for the Australian Indigenous Mentoring Experience (AIME) charity, the AAP news agency reported.
The organisation pairs university students with indigenous high school students as part of its mentoring scheme.
Once at the Opera House, the group spelt out the letters “AIME” on the iconic building’s steps.
It was an attempt to break the record for the world’s largest swimwear parade, said the organisers Strut the Streets.
The Guinness World Record is currently held by 603 participants who stripped off in Johannesburg in October.
AIME CEO Jack Manning Bancroft was very happy and said: “It’s really important to share the serious message behind what often seems like a comical, almost ridiculous event. Every dollar raised at AIME Strut the Streets goes towards supporting more indigenous kids to complete high school.”
- 'World's largest budgie smuggler' parade to be held Down Under - Nov 03, 2009
- Students attempt to achieve world records in Pondicherry - Aug 09, 2010
- Ex Kiwi cricketer Adam Parore to climb Mt. Everest for charity - Mar 09, 2011
- Hindu goddess swimsuit creates outrage in India - May 12, 2011
- Oz women break world record for fastest relay race in stilettos - Sep 28, 2010
- Dozens brave cold weather to set up swimwear queue record - Dec 14, 2011
- Dragon*Con 2010 sets world record for biggest gathering of people in Star Trek costumes - Sep 13, 2010
- Goddesses on bikinis: India conveys concern to Australia - May 11, 2011
- 7-Eleven operators fined for exploiting Indian, Zimbabwe students - Apr 27, 2011
- James Packers 'helps friend Shane Warne at poker tournament' - Nov 01, 2010
- Oz artist wants Oprah Winfrey to strip off and have her body painted - Sep 23, 2010
- Man to live with spiders to raise money for charity - Nov 15, 2010
- Solar car sets speed record - Jan 12, 2011
- Oz songwriters compose world's longest song - Jul 26, 2010
- Kuwait aims to set record for world's longest flag - Jan 10, 2011
Tags: aap news, australian dollars, australians, bancroft, ceo, charity, guinness world record, high school students, iconic building, johannesburg, men and women, news agency, opera house, pairs, s martin, spelt, strut, swimwear parade, underwear, university students