Assam cop is longest barefoot runner in worldApril 17th, 2012 - 4:06 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, April 17 (IANS) A 22-year-old Assam Police constable was Tuesday officially entered in the Guinness World Records as the longest barefoot runner, having run 156.2 km in 24 hours.
Abhijit Baruah, who hails from Jorhat in Upper Assam, created the feat January 30 this year when he started his run at 3.56 p.m. and ended it at 3.56 p.m. the following day, covering a total of 156.2 km distance.
On May 28 last year, Abhijit — also a black belt in karate and kickboxing — had run 150 km in 26 hours and 31 minutes and entered his name in the Limca Book of Records.
Chandrasekhar Tiwari, one of the Indian representatives of the Guinness World Records, supervised the run by Abhijit.
“The Guinness World Records authority in India called me up and informed that I am officially certified for the record. I am very happy to have scored the record. It was my dream from early years to do something great and today I have done that,” said Abhijit while talking to IANS on Tuesday.
The Assam government announced an award of Rs.2 lakh to Abhijit, and the cheque for the amount was handed over to him by Congress MLA from Jorhat constituency Rana Goswami Tuesday.
Abhijit thanked his friends and the Jorhat district administration for the achievement.
On January 30, about 100 volunteers including those from district administration and other clubs in Jorhat kept sweeping the 10-km stretch on the National Highway (NH) 37 in Jorhat district where Abhijit completed his run.
The young man had bagged several gold, silver and bronze medals in many national-level martial arts competitions.
- Assam constable runs 156 km barefoot - Jan 31, 2012
- In paying tribute to Hazarika, guitarists create record - Jun 04, 2012
- Around 300 runners take part in Mumbai barefoot half marathon - Dec 12, 2010
- 3.1 km long tricolour displayed in Andhra - Jan 26, 2012
- Asha Bhosle, Gulzar named among 10 People of The Year - Jan 31, 2012
- 1,141 people set new Guinness World Record walking barefoot - Sep 06, 2010
- 1,141 people remove shoes to set world record - Sep 06, 2010
- 125-ft-long sand cricket bat to usher World Cup (With Image) - Feb 12, 2011
- PM, Sonia visit Assam to assess flood situation - Jul 02, 2012
- Maharashtra man enters Limca Book of Records (With Images) - Jun 09, 2011
- Rabindra dance marathon lands her in Guinness book - Apr 26, 2012
- Eight Assam districts affected by floods - Jun 18, 2012
- Flood situation turns grimmer in Assam - Jun 25, 2012
- Assam floods: Gogoi orders rescue of marooned - Jun 26, 2012
- Around 3600 Kannadigas sing to set world record in Bangalore - Dec 31, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,