Assam bird flu: poultry culling on, local resistance hampers driveDecember 23rd, 2008 - 6:23 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, Dec 23 (IANS) More than 400,000 poultry have been culled so far in Assam after an outbreak of bird flu three weeks ago. But authorities were unable to complete the killing in some areas due to resistance from locals, officials said Tuesday.”Culling operations are near complete in four of the seven bird flu hit districts, although in the three districts of Chirang, Barpeta, and Bongaigaon, we have not been able to finish the operations due to lack of cooperation from the locals,” Assam Veterinary Commissioner S. Mewra said.
Seven Assam districts were hit by bird flu, killing hundreds of chicken and ducks about three weeks ago.
“We have culled more than 420,000 birds. There have been no reports of fresh deaths or bird flu virus in new areas since last week,” Mewra said.
But lack of cooperation from locals in the three districts was posing a serious health risk, he pointed out. “Bird flu virus could spread to the adjoining areas if locals in the three districts do not cooperate with the culling operations. There are risks of the virus spreading to humans if people resist culling.”
Meanwhile, expert central health teams are continuing door-to-door checks to ensure that the virus does not spread to humans. “So far there are no reports of the virus spreading to humans,” central health ministry official Parthajyoti Gogoi said.
The state government has so far disbursed Rs.10 million as compensation to villagers for the poultry culled as per stipulated norms.
- Bird flu: culling operations on in West Bengal, Assam (Lead) - Dec 23, 2008
- Religious beliefs hampering culling in Assam - Dec 14, 2008
- Culling continues in avian flu-hit district of Meghalaya - Jan 13, 2012
- Bird flu: Culling of birds planned in Bhubaneswar (Lead) - Feb 04, 2012
- Bird flu: 7,000 fowls culled in Bhubaneswar - Feb 05, 2012
- Bird flu case surfaces in Bhubaneswar - Feb 04, 2012
- Bird flu: Odisha begins culling poultry birds - Jan 12, 2012
- Disinfection in Meghalaya bird flu-hit area completed - Jan 22, 2012
- Bird flu could spread to humans in Assam, warns health minister - Dec 11, 2008
- Bird flu wreaks havoc in Assam, spreads to new areas - Dec 11, 2008
- More poultry birds culled in Odisha - Jan 18, 2012
- Bird flu detected on Bangladesh farm - Nov 15, 2011
- Poultry culling begins in Meghalaya - Jan 12, 2012
- Experts to study cause of bird flu outbreak - Mar 17, 2012
- 300,000 people in bird flu-hit Assam under surveillance - Dec 12, 2008