Aspirin reduces stomach cancer riskFebruary 11th, 2009 - 11:50 am ICT by IANS
There was also a 32 percent reduction for the same type of stomach cancer in people who used other types of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
However, aspirin does not protect against oesophageal cancer or cardia-gastric cancer at the top of the stomach, which results of previous studies had suggested.
Taking aspirin regularly has been found to cut the risk of bowel cancer, but it is not currently recommended because side effects could include bleeding within the abdomen.
Now, scientists believe that placebo controlled trials, which would assess risks and benefits should be conducted to see if NSAIDs can be used to protect against stomach and oesophageal cancers.
Study author Christian Abnet, based at the National Cancer Institute in America (NCIA), said: “We found that the risk of non-cardia stomach cancer was lower in people who had taken aspirin, and this risk lowered the more regularly they took it.”
“Interestingly, our results didn’t show a significant cut in the risk of oesophageal or cardia stomach cancer, so it’s important that we continue to review data that suggests otherwise,” he added.
“The number of people who survive at least five years following a diagnosis of stomach or oesophageal cancer is low, so it’s important to increase our understanding of ways to prevent the disease and to investigate aspirin as a possible preventive drug,” said Abnet, according to an NCIA release.
Each year, around 8,000 people are diagnosed with stomach cancer in Britain; nearly 5,250 people die of the disease.
These results were published in the British Journal of Cancer.
- Daily aspirin dose cuts cancer risk in elderly - Aug 11, 2012
- New aspirin curbs 11 kinds of cancer, shrinks tumours - Mar 09, 2012
- Aspirin may cut the risk of pancreatic cancer - Apr 05, 2011
- Heavy beer drinking, gene variant up gastric cancer risk - Apr 05, 2011
- Daily aspirin cuts bowel cancer death risk - Apr 26, 2012
- Aspirin 'cuts bowel cancer risk' - Sep 16, 2010
- Estrogen found to protect against gastric cancer - Jul 18, 2011
- An aspirin a day 'cuts cancer death rate by 50pc' - Dec 07, 2010
- Taking ibuprofen regularly cuts Parkinson's disease risk - Feb 18, 2010
- Iranian scientist creates gas-filled aspirin to fight cancer - Mar 13, 2012
- Ibuprofen may reduce risk of Parkinson's disease - Mar 03, 2011
- Ibuprofen painkillers cut risk of dying among elderly - Jul 08, 2010
- Aspirin, ibuprofen offer no protection against skin cancer - Feb 16, 2010
- NSAIDs prevent colon cancer by causing stem cells to self-destruct - Nov 02, 2010
- Study examines aspirin's ability to protect against colorectal cancer - Mar 10, 2011
Tags: abdomen, anti inflammatory drugs, aspirin, bowel cancer, british journal of cancer, cancers, controlled trials, diagnosis, gastric cancer, least five years, national cancer institute, ncia, non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs, nsaids, placebo, scientists, stomach cancer, stomach cancer risk, study author